Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Wonderful Wednesday - Walked Into That One, Didn't I?!?!

Welcome to another edition of Wonderful Wednesday!!  Well, I did it, again.  I commented with a simple question on Judy's Finished Another Whoop Whoop post @ Busy Hands Are Happy Hands and she took it as a challenge.

{Quilted Basket} Challenge - Take Two

Perhaps, I did more than ask a simple question.  YOU can be the judge of that.  Here is my complete comment:

OK, Judy, here we go again! YOU just made a blue basket and need to make a light blue one. I have a light blue one that I made last year, but need to make a dark blue one. What are we going to do?!

This was her response:

I think my current one IS light blue.....but I’ll take the challenge to make a DARK blue one and raise you a pink basket before the end of June! 

What say you?


To which I replied:

Ugh! Are you kidding me?!?! You drive a hard bargain, lady. Fine!!! You're on.

I started in on my PINK Quilted Scrap Basket since that's the Color of the Month for June for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge:


Pairs of pairs, along with pieces and parts at every state of construction:


Here are some lining and binding options:


Pressing pairs:


Dressed and ready for pink trimming:


The first row is complete:


In this completed panel, you might notice that the "first row" shown above ended up needing a bit of an expansion project:




PINK overload!  All batting was pulled from the scrap pile:


I really liked this sweet floral for the lining.. 



... The "scrap" turned out to be...



... A two yard cut of Liberty lawn:



I chose this fun print (shown after quilting) from Joann Fabric instead:


Once the basket panel was layer up...


... The quilting began:


I decided to start with a series of arcs in each corner...


... And filled in from there:


Then I stitched it right up into its basket shape...


... And lopping of the (flattened) corners to shape the basket and here's the quilted (and trimmed) basket-in-training.  I popped in my binding choices to "sleep on it" for the night since it was too late at night to make a decision:


SEW...

The next morning, with a clear head (and a cup of caffeine flowing through my veins) I decided that I would try out first one...


... Then another...


... And another binding option:


That exercise narrowed it down to the pretty PINK floral WOF strip...


... And this crazy print that I've been trying to use up all week:


Ultimately, I determined that the floral strip from Sandy @ Sew High blog was the winner.  I then prepared the binding, attached it to the interior, and sewed it down on the exterior:


I present my latest Quilted Scrap Basket, PINK Overload:


I even remembered to add one of my labels:


So many fun PINK fabric bits were used in the making of this basket:


The photo below gives you a view of the bottom of the basket to give you a better idea of how I filled in the center of the panel with quilting:


This basket was made from PINK bits from my scrap bags, an off-cut piece of Dream GREEN batting, and a chunk cut from a piece of yardage found in my stash.  The scrappy panel for this project has been in the works since PINK was the Color of the Month during the 2018 Rainbow Scrap Challenge. (Yes, I found evidence of prior PINK piecing during LAST year's PINK month!)  I'm SEW pleased to FINALLY add this to my collection of Quilted Scrap Baskets:


Sharing with Kelly
for

and

Whooping it up with
Sarah @
Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Until next time...
ONE down and ONE to go!!!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Your process photos are the best! And now look at you! You are done. I’m glad you left the Liberty Lawn in your stash! I have never owned any but I’m sure if I had some I would just take it out and look at it periodically. Your basket is so pretty! I better “get on the stick”, as my mama used to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Judy are hilarious, Joy! But at least it's pushing you to get these baskets done! Your pink one is full of great scraps. I'm still playing with my squirrel inspired by your Monday mini post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two like to one up each other, huh! One down... onto the other one now! Maybe I can try a basket tomorrow... we will see what the boy has planned for me on my day off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You made it sound so quick but I know better. Takes a bit of time to piece a piece of fabric! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a way to anti up the challenge! The arc quilting is super cute. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoop Whoop! You rock girl! Nicely done too. Congrats! But honestly I have to say that you left the door wide open for her to jump in and challenge you. I mean, a formal invitation in the mail would have been a tad less effective than your comment on her blog, lol. You are so cute when you do that. Don't change! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your challenges! There is no such thing as pink overload in my world though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its perfect challenge!! and you rose ( cuz pink haha) to it well!!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little bit with a deer peering at Minnie Mouse! Sew cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your basket. I have put it on my to make list. I'm sewing in the family room to keep my 90 mum company while she recovers from a partial hip replacement. This is just the thing for me to make and show her. (She likes the show and tell part of it. Too long of a project and I get tired of the same question, What are you making? Mum's got a bit of dementia.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness!!! How many baskets have I seen already - Cathy and Mari and now you...AAARGGGHHH If I were to use up my scraps like so I'd be making zippered pouches :-) That deer is so very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving your basket, Joy! So now there are four of us doing baskets, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that Joann fabric better, too. Less pink and more other fun colors (pink isn't my thing).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.