Sunday, February 4, 2024

ProjectQUILTING - PQ 15.3 - Inside Out

INSIDE OUT


Welcome to The Joyful Quilter!!  And... Welcome to the wonderful world of Project QUILTING hosted by Kim Lapacek @ Persimon Dreams!!  This is my 3rd year of participation in the Challenge.  Trish Frankland @ QuiltChicken is the creator of the crazy challenges that participants will face during the next 8 weeks.


Sassy @ Farm Quilter got me started at the beginning of Season 11 by inviting her readers to join in the fun.  I accepted her invitation and the rest is history.  As I have for the past two years, I will be dragging along my friend LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color again this season, as she enjoys having a reason to stretch her creative wings.  Would YOU like to join me in this creative journey, too?  


FAIR WARNING:  It's a wild ride, but oh SEW rewarding!


Challenges are given and start to finish you have ONE WEEK to complete your project.  PQ 15.3 can be found at THIS LINK:




Step One...

Read the instructions to see what is required of the third challenge.  Here's what Trish had to say:

PQ 15.3 INSIDE OUT

For this week’s project, I want to see what’s normally hidden!
 
Make a project with exposed seams or a raw-edge finish. Take on a bag pattern or other project that is constructed inside out and then literally “birthed” as part of the process. Or use this as a theme and demonstrate your unique inside-out perspective.

Step Two...

Contemplate the possibilities.  VERY interesting!!

Why, Joyful???

This means that I will be entering two "unconstructed" pieces in a row, as my PQ15.2 was finished with raw edges showing.

Step Three...

Find myself getting a little excited, as a glimmer of an idea came to mind.


TWO MINUTES PASS!!!

Step Four...

Head to the studio to gather supplies:

I reached THOUGHT that I would be reaching for my TURQUOISE scraps, but I pulled out my RED Quilted Scrap Basket, instead.  That's the Color of the Month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I decided that wanted to include it in my project:


Tutorial for these baskets can be found HERE.


Step Five...

Review the rules:

RULE ONE: SOME PART OF YOUR PROJECT MUST THEMATICALLY OR LITERALLY BE INSIDE OUT.

You have one week to meet the challenge. Every challenge piece must be a FINISHED project seen through from INCEPTION to COMPLETION during the challenge timeline – that is, started on or after February 4, 2024, and linked up by noon Central Time February 11, 2024.

Each piece must stand alone as DONE to count toward prizes. Your project does not need to be a traditional quilt, but must meet at least one of these requirements: include patchwork, include appliqué, have 3 layers stitched together by hand or machine.

Incomplete or unfinished does not qualify. Every challenge piece must be a FINISHED project seen through from INCEPTION to COMPLETION during the challenge timeline.


Step Six... PLAY!!!

I began by sorting through a scrap bag perched atop my scrap basket.  I looked for bits that felt right for what I had in mind for my project.

Here is a bit of my construction process...

(Scroll down to the bottom of the post NOW, if you don't care to see a blow by blow of the making of my quilt.)

Normally, that would be the case, but once again, I was so excited by my idea that I got right to work on my little quilt.

With 6.5 full days before the deadline my entry is...

DONE!!!  With ZERO process pictures for the second time in a row.

However, I'm SEW pleased to present my completed entry for PQ 15.3:



Here's a close-up of my PQ 15.3 entry to show you the exposed seams:


There is usually a reason that I participate in these challenges...

... And this time, it was because I can't seem to stop.  ProjectQUILTING has made it impossible for me to ignore the challenge prompts!  It seems that I'm a PQ addict.

There you have it...

Process, product, and the REAL reason for accepting this Challenge.

Follow THIS LINK to the Season 15 overview.  Check back on the Challenge release days (or sign-up to be notified automatically) and there may be one that YOU just can't resist.

It's a SHORT turnaround time!

Depending on the size and complexity of your project, that doesn't HAVE to be insurmountable.  With a little creativity and a few evenings, you really CAN do this!  My project 
was begun about 3 hours after the prompt was announced and was finished in record time. I can't believe it was done with 6.5 full days to spare!  My post was ready for release with by dinner time.  Since I have a thing about releasing my post on Sunday, I figured I would just go ahead and release it now.  (Quite a departure from my norm, since it's so far ahead of schedule - don't anybody faint - I was the FIRST person to join the PQ15.3 Link Party.)

Until next time...
Challenge accepted!!!




Remember:  If I can do this, YOU can do it, too!

(Plus, there's a spot to post your completed Project QUILTING inspired projects AFTER the deadline for any of the challenges.)



Sharing with Cynthia
for

9 comments:

  1. Oh my heck! That’s where my thoughts went first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! SO much fun and your enthusiasm for the prompts is catching. I love the inside out piece in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your attitude and what a cheerful challenge piece! Congratulations on a quick turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! This challenge really spoke to you. Your piece is interesting, unique, and fun! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun you had! AND FIRST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.