Monday, May 30, 2011
Next, I'd like to apologize to my readers. Somehow, I have neglected sharing a project that is almost a month old!
Teacher Appreciation Week is a BIG thing at DS1's school. Each year the PTSO collects items or monetary donations for gift baskets that teachers have a chance to win. This year, I decided to ask if they would like for me to make a quilted gift to be included in a basket.
"That would be GREAT!!!"
Being on a mug rug kick lately, that was my choice for the quilted item. I found a fabric (in my scrap bin) that wasn't too "girl-y" and went from there.
Choose a design that would be appropriate for a teacher's desk.
"Shut Up!" would NOT be a good choice. That lovely suggestion actually came from a teacher friend of mine. LOL
I opted for a design that a teacher would be proud for students to see. It's a little quilt that could even be posted on a bulletin board. It's what EVERY teacher wants EVERY student to do on a daily basis...
I did the letters with free-form piecing using a method that I learned in a workshop with Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com. She learned the method from her friend Tonya Ricucci, The UnRuly Quilter of http://www.lazygalquilting.blogspot.com/. I'm pretty sure that Bonnie is no longer teaching these letters as part of her class because the method can now be found in Tonya's new book titled Word Play Quilts.
I can't WAIT to get my copy!
Friday, May 27, 2011
I've had this small art quilt project on the sewing table (untouched) for nearly a year. Yesterday, I applied the borders and layered the quilt!
What's next??? The quilting and...
I had a stoke of brilliance while looking at the quilt top. Wanna hear about it???
My art bee has a challenge that was issued at out April meeting. The quilt is due in August. I had NO idea what I would do, until...
(See the photo.)
More information will follow upon completion of the quilt.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Today was the 2011 Dye Frenzy for my local quilt bee. Just like last year, it was back-breaking work! Just like last year, a great time was had by all!
I published a list of all of the "leftover" colors that were available and new colors were purchased to fill in. This year I focused on using the six "new" colors. I'm fairly happy with the results and will be happy to add these new creations to my personal hand-dyed collection.
Next year, I'd like to focus on doing more elaborate dyeing techniques. One of my friends was extremely successful in dipping her fabric into multiple dye baths. Another experienced good results using more traditional "tie-dye" techniques.
To refresh my memory, the leftover colors were Tropical Green, Sunflower Yellow, Flamingo Pink, Amazon Green, Intense Violet, Ocean Blue. The new colors were Bahama Blue, Tulip Red, China Blue, Brown, Black and one other color (that I can't seem to recall.)
Well, off to do another rinse on my fabrics...
AND...start thinking about the challenge that was issued by the workshop leader! Hmm... what to make???
Hopefully, I'll be able to post pictures soon!
Saturday, May 14, 2011
What do I say???
TOO bad!!! It's finished and I'm happy with it (for now.) I can always add more quilting later. It's not likely, but I **could** if I decided that I would be happier with additional quilting.
This quilt began it's life more than five years ago as the leftovers from the leftovers of a King Sized quilt that I made for a friend. I have now completed FIVE quilts (of various sizes) from the fabrics purchased for that ONE quilt. And there are STILL more scraps remaining!
Hmm... I wonder what I'll make next???
Ready? Set. Sew!
Sunday, May 8, 2011
This began as a stack of fabric (as quilt projects often do) and a de-constructed sweatshirt...more than THREE YEARS AGO!!! I started it to replace the jacket that I gave a friend when we moved away. It was a bit big for me, but it fit her perfectly and she LOVED it, commenting on it every time I wore it. (The look on her face was priceless when she realized that it was really hers!) Anyway, I bought fabric to make myself another jacket. I remember that stack of fabric and that sweatshirt sitting on my sewing table BEFORE the "big move" to my new studio.
That move took place two years ago! This project has been included in SEVERAL sessions of the (Ravelry) UFO Club. I am SO happy to have it done!
Who knows why it took so long to get around to working on it, because it was a lot of fun to quilt and I actually quilted it in one day...
And then it sat for weeks before I decided to sew the pieces together. (And another number of weeks before I got around to applying the binding!)
Once the binding was applied, I worked on it on and off for about a week and completed it this afternoon on the way back from Mother's Day lunch with my MIL.
Hooray! A new jacket that will be PERFECT... for NEXT winter!
Until next time...
Saturday, May 7, 2011
This is the little quilt that I made for Oceansong in the 2nd Chance (Ravelry) Mug Rug Swap. Her preferences stated that she likes "shades of green, brown, black, magenta, and so many more." I chose colors hoping that I would get it right.
I'm STILL not sure that I got the colors right, but she likes her mug rug. She even commented on in another group. Wondering who the lucky recipient would be... She said that she had a huge, happy smile on her face when she found out that it was HER!
Hooray! Nothing better than making someone's day. (Now MY face has a huge, happy smile, too!) And another smile and a big Thank You to Sew Fantastic's simple Mug Rug Tutorial http://sew-fantastic.blogspot.com/2011/03/mug-rug-tutorial-scrappy-colorblock.html, I based my design on your technique.