Friday, April 26, 2024

April 2024 - TABLE SCRAPS Challenge - Link Party

Welcome to the April 2024 edition of the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge here at the Joyful Quilter!!
I'll start with a little backstory, in case you are new here.  (
Apologies to my regular readers since you already know all about it.) I'm a scrap quilter who had been setting up individual challenges for several years in conjunction with Angela's (RSC) Rainbow Scrap Challenge @ So Scrappy.  Participants from around the corner, across the country and around the world have been having SEW much fun and we all have MORE scraps to use, so I am pleased to offer the...


In 2024, we have a broad range of quilted items that are appropriate for linking to the Challenge.  Baskets and bins, along with pillows and pin cushions, are all qualifying projects.  Not just the toppers, runners, and mug rugs.  Basically, ANY small quilted item qualifies.  The main premise is that you USE the (new or old) SCRAPS from your cutting table (or your friend's cutting table - since that's where the majority of my scraps come from!)

There will be a prompt each month to help get your creative juices flowing.  While you are NOT required to use it in your project, the guiding word will be revealed at the end of each month's LINK PARTY post.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the following month's focus.  It, along with the RSC Color of the Month (as soon as Angela releases it - around the 1st of the month.) will also be added to the 2024 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge page at the top of the blog.

The theme for April was...

UMBRELLAS

I was slow to decide what I wanted to do with this theme, but...

Since the Color of the Month was YELLOW, I took a stroll through my overflowing basket to see what I could find and what ideas the fabrics might spark:


Fabric selections:


Layered for quilting, but cutting it close because of the scraps of backing and batting I chose:


I went with...


Minimal quilting which is really had to see in the photos:


The details and binding...


Will had to wait.  I got a late start on my project, worked yesterday, had a meeting last night, and simply didn't have any more energy for the remaining details.  Additionally, we were away for nearly a week in the middle of the month so preparing for that, recovering from travel, and catching up on missed chores ate up a lot of me "free" time.

Life sometimes gets in the way of our quilting!!

Thanks for understanding.  I would have been SEW pleased to present my completed entry for the April 2024 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, but it will just have to wait until tomorrow.

The photo of my quilt City Sun Shower is CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE!!!

What's next, Joyful???

The new month is still a few days away so we will probably have to wait a little bit to discover the Color of the Month, I'll reveal it as soon as Angela posts her announcement.

UPDATE:

In Saturday's post Angela made a soft announcement releasing the May Color of the Month:

PINK

May's theme is:

KENTUCKY DERBY

I first thought horses and then entertained the idea of ribbons and/or bows.  Ultimately, I decided that the Kentucky Derby theme will allow for those and more.  I'm looking forward to seeing what YOU will do!

And now...

It's time for YOU to link up your YELLOW and/or UMBRELLA project in the LINK PARTY below.  All entries MUST be submitted by Wednesday, May 1st @ 11:59PM (EDT).


Until next time...
USE those table scraps!!!
#tablescrapschallenge2024

6 comments:

  1. Roses would be good for Kentucky Derby as well. It is called Run for the Roses.
    Also mint juleps. Big fancy hats (though not as big a deal as in England).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My yellow umbrella project was actually not completed this month. I finished it during the winter. But I finally hung it up this week. LOL
    Kentucky Derby offers a lot of options. JustGail mentioned roses, and that was my first thought too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those cute little umbrellas - fun idea, Joy! We traveled this month, too, and it definitely messes with the sewing time. I did finish my table scraps project, though, just need to write up a post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the theme and your little mini, it is so sweet. Love the little umbrellas and the raindrops. The theme reminded me to take out my April Showers block and finish the project. Thank you for that!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know you hated to not totally finish but life, yep. And you finished the fabric selection. You finished the composition. I was glad to do something I liked because of your prompt, and so were others so that's a good outcome
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy, this link up was the perfect inspiration I needed to make my springtime mini! Even though I got 'er done at the very last minute, I will enjoy this piece for years to come! Happy May!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.