Friday, March 29, 2024

March 2024 - TABLE SCRAPS Challenge - Link Party

Welcome to the March 2024 edition of the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge here at the Joyful Quilter!!  I'll start with a little backstory, in case you are new here.  (Apologies to my regular readers since you already know all about it.) I'm a scrap quilter who had been setting up individual challenges for several years in conjunction with Angela's (RSC) Rainbow Scrap Challenge @ So Scrappy.  Participants from around the corner, across the country and around the world have been having SEW much fun and we all have MORE scraps to use, so I am pleased to offer the...


In 2024, we have a broad range of quilted items that are appropriate for linking to the Challenge.  Baskets and bins, along with pillows and pin cushions, are all qualifying projects.  Not just the toppers, runners, and mug rugs.  Basically, ANY small quilted item qualifies.  The main premise is that you USE the (new or old) SCRAPS from your cutting table (or your friend's cutting table - since that's where the majority of my scraps come from!)

There will be a prompt each month to help get your creative juices flowing.  While you are NOT required to use it in your project, the guiding word will be revealed at the end of each month's LINK PARTY post.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the following month's focus.  It, along with the RSC Color of the Month (as soon as Angela releases it - around the 1st of the month.) will also be added to the 2024 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge page at the top of the blog.

The theme for March was...

BIRDS

I wasn't where I was going with that, but...

Since the Color of the Month was PURPLE, I rummaged through that basket to see what I could find:


Nothing jump out at me to use...

However, I remembered the scrap bag received recently from my friend Deborah:


It didn't take much time to work up a layout...

For a special gift:



Have you tried raw-edge applique??  It's my preferred method.

The quilt was layered up with a near-perfect scrap of batting and with a few pins, my entry was ready for quilting:


Once the main elements were quilted, I remove the pins...


And called in the assistance of Britt.  She suggested the sliver of a circle near the top right corner and confirmed my idea of the quarter circle at the lower right corner:


While satisfied with the quilting, I decided that the little bird on the right needed some help.  Especially since I no longer liked the idea of trimming the quilt at that point.  So...


I added a few more pieces to complete the scene and I'm SEW pleased to present my completed entry for the March 2024 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge:


At 11.5" x 13.5", this wall hanging is sure to be well received.

And...

It was fun to find a use for this sweet PURPLE floral print:


What's next, Joyful???

The new month is still a few days away so we may have to wait to discover the Color of the Month, I will reveal that as soon as Angela posts her announcement.

???
UPDATE!!!

The Color of the Month for April is...

YELLOW!!!

April's theme is:

UMBRELLAS

Angela's chosen Color of the Month will be updated here and on the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge tab located at the top of the page once it's been announced.

And now...

It's time for YOU to link up your PURPLE and/or BIRD project in the LINK PARTY below.  All entries MUST be submitted by Wednesday, April 3rd @ 11:59PM (EST).


Until next time...
USE those table scraps!!!
#tablescrapschallenge2024

Sharing with Alycia
for




6 comments:

  1. OMGosh! I love this! It makes me think of your Art-y journal pages. Fabulous way to incorporate both techniques! A win in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is cute, Joy! I love the background dot and how you arranged the birds, too. I bet the recipient will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I need to finish mine up, but it has a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great composition. It looks fantastic!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an AMAZING job with this challenge. I so love the fabrics you chose and the composition of the whole design ... WONDERFUL! Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyful, what a great little finish. Those are such cute birds! Thanks for the party :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.