Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Tidy Up Tuesday - {#intothewoolfiberretreat2018}

Welcome to the ITW18 edition of Tidy Up Tuesday!!!  A knit retreat was something new to me.  Totally out of character, since I am an EXTREMELY slow knitter!  It's hard to believe that it was almost a month ago (which is why it qualifies for Tidy Up status.)  Anyway, Tracy wanted someone to go on Retreat with her.  After careful consideration, I said, "Sure!  Why not?"  Then nearly half of our Knit Group was planning to go.

Well...

The subtitle of this post could be 800 miles (and counting.)

That's OK!  It's good to try new things.  It's good to get outside our comfort zones.  Most importantly, it's good to honor your word (when all the rest of your friends, who also said they would go, bail for one reason or another.)

Into The Wool Fiber Retreat 2018

It was QUITE an experience for me!!  The drive to the retreat included a stop for lunch (and shopping) in Black Mountain, North Carolina, home of Black Mountain Yarn Shop (closed for vacation) and Black Mountain Quilts, which as it turns out, is NOT an actual quilt shop.

Although, they DID have one basket of FQs:



A selection of quilted purses:


And a whole bunch of locally made quilts...


In a variety of sizes and styles:


They were EVERYWHERE you looked around the shop:


I was tempted to buy a buddy for the (awesome and super useful) bowl cozy that my friend Gayle gave me a while back:


Look at the incredible dog pillows...


Available in a range of breeds:


SEW much quilty goodness on the way to the Knit Retreat:


LOOK at these super chunky knit blankets:


Here's a card from the shop, in case you saw something you NEED:


The town was having an outdoor exhibit of these wonderful rocking chairs on every corner:


They were hand painted by local artists:


Lunch wasn't fast food:


I would DEFINITELY recommend a visit:


Before getting back on the road, we visited a number of shops:


Tea Towels PERFECT for knitters:


I really wanted this wonderfully drapey vest, but I didn't find a color combination that felt "me-like":


Alas, our main attraction was CLOSED for vacation:


Coffee in hand, we headed for the car and were back on the road:



Ultimately, we arrived.  On time.  There was a full schedule each day (and night.)  I'm talking NEVER a dull moment!  Meals, knitting, Iron Spinner Challenge, knitting, Classes, knitting, Sock Yarn Swap, knitting, DOOR PRIZES, knitting, Vendor Market, knitting, Color Street Nail Bar, knitting, Fashion Show, knitting, Mini Skein Swap, knitting, Trivia Competition, knitting, Wheel Tastings, knitting, Karaoke, knitting, Bye Bye Blowout, knitting.  OK, so some people crocheted and some people were weaving, while still others were busy spinning.  But mostly... It was about the KNITTING!!!  :o))

I made a mug rug for the OTHER Joy at the retreat:


Opening ceremonies were held in this open air building:


One of literally HUNDREDS of cute project bags around camp:


Pheonixfire participated in the Iron Spinner Competition:


Zoomdogknits was from my home town:


Look at this tiny "automatic" spinning wheel:


Hand shown for scale:



DAY TWO...

Begins with a glorious morning view of the lake:


Don't ask me WHY, but there is a small petting zoo in the center of (what is primarily) a gymnastics camp:


One of my roommates is already enjoying her Quilted Yarn Bowl:



Oops!  Make that TWO:


Sock Yarn Swap, anyone?  Special thanks to Tracy, who brought an extra skein just for me!  I added it to this incredible pile of paper bags filled with sock yarn:


One of my roommates found this lovely February Lady sweater on the FREE-to-a-Good-Home table.  Shown below with the sweater's maker, Daisy.  Thank you, Daisy!!  It's a perfect fit for me:


Gathered.  Waiting for the Sock Yarn Swap to begin:


Here's the view from the "knitting" porch:


Scrappy project bag, anyone?  Thanks for the photo to share:


Rainbow-licious mitts!!  Gauntlets??  Whatever they are supposed to be called... Yummy colorful arm warmers by Mary:


Yay!!  Tammy STILL has her Quilted Yarn Bowl in tow:


Oh!  Look at this lovely Log Cabin Tote Bag that Connie made:


Winners!!  We are QUITE pleased with our swapped yarns:


Thanks, Tracy!!  I absolutely LOVED having right of first refusal on your project bags, destined for the Free-To-A-Good-Home table:


Here is the view, as I headed to Spinning Class:


Piles of fluff and a box of spindles greeted me:


Look!!  Thanks to Tracy, I'm spinning with a drop spindle:


I made YARN!!  And, if you believe later reports, I did a FANTASTIC job for someone who had never spun before:


Thank you to my wonderful teacher, shown below in yellow:


A view of the lake, through the trees:


A shot of the sprawling lawn with the lake beyond:


Tracy's spinning wheel gathered a crowd:


Results of the Resin Class:


Try on this bag and I'll take a picture:


After lunch, I was off to Crochet Class:


Random examples of the teacher's work:


It turns out that Tracy and I crochet the same (weird!) way:


It turns out that if you drop a marker in, you are less likely to miss your last stitch:


Gratuitous anchor pouch photo:


Small, but oh-so-adorable:


Speaking of adorable...


Melissa made this too-cute Kitty Quilt:


Random QUILTED knitting bag sighting:


Daisy applies a sample on Tracy's thumbnail:


Tracy gives it a whirl:


Color Street nail polish strips:


Before dinner, I went to get a closer shot of the boat:


The Finished Object photo shoot was going on:


The camp even offers a small lakefront beach:


I worked on my Hoodie Shawl Cardigan in dark BLUE for September's Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month:


Pajama Party!!  One happy camper was dressed in a farm animal onesie.  Llama or alpaca?  You be the judge:


Gather round for the Mini Skein Swap:


30 seconds on the clock...


... And GO!!  If you don't make your choices by the time the buzzer goes off, you have to put everything back and choose again last:


Tracy brought enough mini skeins to supply herself, along with me and our new friend, Lauren:


Sock Monkey PJ's!!  This photo is specifically for Knittingsuek:


For my quilting friends...


... A small zipper pouch made from a candy wrapper:


Day Three...

Sunrise over the lake:




A fellow camper was pin weaving at breakfast:


Knitwear sighting:


It's a shop advertisement:


A stunning example of the sweater Tracy is currently knitting:


Fun wine bottle on the NO SHARE table.  Leftover from last night:



Pin weaving productivity:


Collapsible yarn bowls:


Size reference:


They are made with this kit:


Yarn Chicken for the WIN!!  Picture proof:


Look at me!!  I'm ACTUALLY crocheting:


Billy is bored!!  He's probably wondering where the gymnasts are:


Look who came to see me!!  Libby from Hillside Quilter:


Approaching Oak Cabin from the lake:


Oak Cabin.  Into The Wool 2018.  Smile, y'all:


Donkeys hanging out in the shade.  Trying to stay cool.  Good luck with THAT!!  The heat is quite oppressive this afternoon:


Oh, look!  A leaf bug:


My apologies to any of you bug haters!  This SERIOUSLY appeared to be a leaf sitting up on the deck rail:


Roomie with a cute yarn-y shirt:


Blocking 101 Class:

One student brought her G









Another beautiful quilted project bag.  Front...


... And back:


This shot is for Threebagsfulled and our other knitting friends:


I'm almost done with my crocheted "square" for charity:


Everyone LOVED the shirt, Hilary:


Welcome to the (spinning) Wheel Tasting event:


Melissa has a matching pin for her quilted project bag:


Day Four...

SEE what I mean about all of the cute project bags:


This one came in the ITW Goodie Bags from a few years ago:


Finishing up the Stitch Marker Exchange:


It's looking a little gray this morning:


And rather damp:


Look at this jumbo Humbug (?) bag:


Waiting for the Bye Bye Blowout:


More crafters in this direction.  Empty green chair?  That's my spot:


It was POURING on my way to breakfast and I forgot my glasses:


First up, coming in 3rd place for the ITW Points Challenge, Zoomdogknits:


Next up, in 2nd place for the ITW Points Challenge, Phoenixfire:


And, the Grand Prize WINNER, Lanois:


Just LOOK at the gorgeous quilted project bag presented to the asst. director by the camp director:


I loved ending this knitty post with something quilty.  Thank you again, Dana and Tiffay!!  Into The Wool Fibre Retreat was a great introduction into the world of knitting retreats.  I had a wonderful weekend and hope to be able to return in 2020 (as I already have plans for 2019.)

And now... I'm off to a Quilting Retreat.  :o))

Until next time...
Step outside YOUR comfort zone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.