Sunday, October 14, 2018

Sew Some Love Sunday - Sew It Forward

Welcome to another edition of Sew Some Love Sunday!!  It's been QUITE some time since I've released one of these posts. Way TOO long, if you ask me!  SEW...  I'm here to tell you about my latest donation-quilt-in-progress.

It started with this kit of fabric at a Donation Quilt Sew Day:



The kit traveled up to Lake Ontario with me (where I cut it to pieces.)  After cutting it was ready to be stitched up:



It seemed like the perfect project while I was away at the 2018 CCLQ @ The Bluff Quilt Retreat.  As I led my Beemates in a Magical Mystery, thanks to Libby of Life of the Hill blog, these fabrics provided a crazy contrast to the fabric requirements that I gave the others.  Participants were SEW pleased with the possibilities these quilt blocks provide.  Thank you again, for your generous spirit, Libby!!

I didn't assemble my blocks into rows until the very last day of the retreat:



It's AMAZING how much you can accomplish with only Lake Ontario as your distraction!  Once the blocks were done and I had decided on a layout for them, I had the quilt top complete in approximately 2.5 hours:




Next step... choosing backing fabric.  Don't worry!!  I'll be sure to post additional photos when the quilting is done.

You can create your own Magical Mystery quilt by following the instructions that Libby released on her blog during February and Mach this year.  It is a fun, FAST project!!   You can cut the fabric, sew the blocks, and create a new quilt top in 3 days (or less.)

What if I don't have time to make an entire quilt, Joyful???

My favorite charity block program is still Covered in Love.  Kat has carved a special place in my heart over the past several years.  Her work with end of life care and providing quilts to grieving families (in an area of the country that is dear to me) had me right from the start.  I really appreciated the opportunity to contribute, while only committing to a block (or 2 or 10!)

What if that charity doesn't "speak" to me, Joyful???

I'm committed to bringing YOU new ways to help the quilting community serve others!  I've recently found a new solution for those of you who are fond of making donation blocks for a worthy cause.  While visiting links on Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish It Up Friday LINK PARTY, I found a new-to- me charity.

Jen de Jong of de Jong Dream House (a blog I've visited time and again) shared the story of an online quilting community that she (accidentally) started 4 years ago.  Sew It Forward is a FaceBook group formed to gather blocks to make quilts for victims of house fires, specifically, Jen's father and step mother, but it has reached WAY farther than that original goal!!  Check out the links provided, if you are SEW inclined.  The current Admin appreciates any and all help.

Until next time...
Sew Some Love!!!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Joy! I love how your MMQ came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress with the quilt. It looks the perfect place for a retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m intrigued by your mystery quilt. I don’t usually participate in mystery quilt alongs, but since this one is done and I can see how it might work with my available fabrics, I might have to consider this seriously. Thanks for your other suggestions, too. It’s always good to have a variety of options for various sizes quilts for donation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy! Your donation turned out beautifully. Hope you enjoyed every minute of the retreat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.