Friday, October 5, 2018

Design Floor Friday - Squirrel Tracks

Welcome to another edition of Design Floor Friday!!  I was away on the day this was scheduled to post, but something went wrong.

You'll NEVER guess where I was!  I was at Into the Wool Fiber Retreat for the weekend, but earlier that week my design floor looked like THIS:



It's all Dee Dee's fault!!!  She included some gorgeous batik strata in one of the bags of fabric that I picked up last week.  I paired bits of those strata with some leftovers of my own:



Julie at Me and My Quilts... Exploring the Possibilities posted about chasing squirrels over the summer.  I unofficially joined the club (because I've been known to go off on a tangent from time to time.)  Well, I want you to know that I have now officially joined The Squirrel Club for Quilters!

Those piles of fabric scraps (along with some batting AND binding scraps) turned into my first official Squirrel Project.  Here I am, sewing away:




(A small portion of) The bag of batting scraps that I got from DeeDee on Saturday was put to good use in this project.  Hey!  All squirrels like to line their nest with soft bits of fluff.  :o))




I even remembered to attach my pre-printed labels as I was sewing on the binding:




One:



Two:



Three:



Four:



Five:



When I was finished, I have a full (quilted) nest of mug rugs:




I was back at it on Monday evening.  This time it was Quilted Yarn Bowls that had me chasing a squirrel.  Fabrics were chosen to go with this multi-colored stretch denim that has been used in a number of projects:



Dee Dee's batik scraps came into play when I realized that I needed binding for the Quilted Yarn Bowls:



I quilted each one on my Janome 6500, but don't look too closely, as it's been a while since I've quilted on anything except my APQS Millennium longarm quilting machine.  You MIGHT be able to tell from THESE photos:




These gifts were for my cabinmates at ITW18...




Roadchick:



Knitspinner:



Mantaray1:

Photo currently unavailable!!

I also made one for Phoenixfire, since we took her car to get here:

Photo currently unavailable!!

But WAIT!!  There was ONE more recipient.  Another Joy at the retreat.  Can you BELIEVE it???

SEW...

The last mug rug went to Knitnick:



Thanks you to Dee Dee for that bag of quilt parts and to Quilt Diva Julie for starting the Squirrel Club for Quilters.  What FUN it is to chase those proverbial squirrels.

Special Note about the Quilted Yarn Bowls:

People LOVED them!  They were asking my roommates where they got them and wanted to know if they could get one, too!!  If YOU are interested in having one of your own, drop me an email.


Linking up with Amanda at Crazy Mom Quilts
and
with Cynthia for Oh Scrap!!

Until next time...
Do something unexpected!!!


8 comments:

  1. And the Squirrel Club continues to thrive! Yes!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were busy! I love the color/fabric combinations of the mug rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all great projects... and completed no less! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your colorful mug rugs! Little projects like that are so much fun, and definitely make great gifts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job putting those scraps to good use. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squirrel!
    (And very pretty squirrels you have at your place!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! All your finishes are gorgeous! What a nice thing to do for your knitting buddies!
    Cheers,
    Sylvia@Treadlestitches

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely squirrel mug rugs, Joy! Well done for making so many!
    I had a couple of unofficial squirrels too this month.
    Looks like everyone had a great time at retreat!
    Barbara x theflashingscissors.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.