Saturday, February 22, 2020

Project QUILTING Season 11 - Challenge 11.4

Birds in the Air

This week's Project QUILTING challenge is the fourth for the season and the fourth that I've come up with a way to participate.  The challenge was released on Sunday afternoon.

By Monday afternoon, I had design concept down on paper:



Between Monday and Wednesday, I thought about how I might interpret my design.  I didn't do anything to further that goal.

Early Thursday evening, my version of 11.4 began to reveal itself.  I started with a few Bonus HSTs to make the central block:



The "frame" was accomplished by digging through several of my scrap baskets, which are sorted by color.

The tree was easy:



The sunset over Bluebird Lake proved to be a bit more...  challenging.  That photo above didn't match my drawing.  I removed the sun and cut those pieces apart to audition a larger sunset in the center...



... Then puzzled a couple together to try a smaller scale:


It was so much of a challenge that I called in my Design Consultant.  Thanks for working through the issue with me, B!!  This mock up was the result of that conversation, but... 



... I wasn't certain that was the look I was going for.  While I was at it, though, I asked for her opinion about the ripples and reflection on the water, too:



Before bed, my challenge piece was all but done.  Only three questions remained:

1. Grass or no grass
2. Sun ray solution
3. Binding or facing

I ran these items past my quilting friends on Ravelry.  Emaleena chimed in on a couple of the issues and Sfgwife piped up concerning the other.  I'm not sure which suggestions I will or won't follow, but I certainly appreciate the input.

On Saturday afternoon, DS1 and the Resident Art Student voted for matching each of the colors or else a plain white binding (definitely NOT my 1st choice.)  I had hoped to bring out the ORANGE from the center to the edging (in honor of February's Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month.)  Decisions, decisions:



Here is the completed piece, which could benefit from blocking:




With the first three challenges, I had a reason for participation in each of the challenges.  I suppose this is no different.  This one is for ME!!  I will enjoy having a new "artsy" quilt to add to my Gallery Wire.  Yes.  PQ 11.4 is a gift for myself.

Oh...

For those of you who might be wondering about the finished size of this piece, it measures 5" across x 7" tall.  I like working small.

And...

I finished it more than 18 hours in advance of the deadline.  :o))

Until next time...
Challenge your Quilting!!




8 comments:

  1. It came out great! I love the design and the cool quilting. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Birds in the Air project is gorgeous! I love how it turned out, especially that ripple effect. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful mini! What a great interpretation of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are getting very good at these challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! Love the way you added the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sun setting between the birds on the water!! Well done and another mini for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat little piece! I love how you did the sun in among the birds. So glad you're keeping it for yourself, too. A very fine addition to your Wire :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done! I like the sun & reflection on the water and the fabric ripples.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.