Saturday, February 18, 2017

ScraoHappy Saturday - RSC17 - Week 7

Welcome to Week 7 of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!  As usual, when the week begins, I have NO IDEA how much sewing time will present itself.  Take a walk through this one to see how it all pans out.

SUNDAY - Check out my Sew Some Love post for this week. Along with that sewing, I did a little RSC sewing, too.  The rows are sewn for the 16-Patch centers for my Scrap Jar Stars:


Late afternoon found us on the campus of NCCU for DS2's concert. It was the 14th Annual Valentine's Concert presented by our three local universities:


Featuring...

The Duke University Jazz Ensemble:


The UNC Chapel Hill Jazz Band:


And the North Carolina Central University Jazz Ensemble:


Sorry for the terrible pictures, but the house lights make cell phone photography next to impossible!!

MONDAY - A trip to APQS, Raleigh (for Owner's Group) ate up my sewing time today. Featured topic, grid work:

Sample sewn by Angela of Thread Waggle Quilting

I took the time to assemble the rows for the centers of my SJS blocks before leaving for my meeting:


The flip side of losing my sewing time is that I got to have dinner with DS1 (and grab a quick hug, making me one happy mom!!)

I did do one sewing related task when I got home.  It was the FINALE for the En Provence Mystery and I wrote a post to link up with Bonnie and many of the Mystery Quilters from around the world.  I find it SEW amazing at how many different versions result from the same pattern.  Logically, I know that I shouldn't be, but I always am (for some reason.)  Go take a look and see what I mean.  I bet YOU will be surprised, too!!

TUESDAY - Here's hoping that YOU had a Happy Valentine's Day!!  THIS is hanging in my kitchen for the month of February:

Keys to my Heart, 8" x 10", original design

You may have seen this last year (or the year before that), if you've been following my blog for some time.  If not, it is from my Art Quilters Play Group days about 5 years ago.  It's a simple piece that was made using "found objects" and I was quite pleased with myself in its originality.  After all these years, this little quilt is still one of my favorites from those artsy endeavors.

Knitting this morning, followed by a bit of AQUA hunting to celebrate the softer side of SEA GREEN.

First, at my favorite consignment shop...

A votive holder:


A planter:


And... A vase:


Then at the local Thrift Shop...

A dinette set:



An office chair:


And... A piece of framed artwork:


During the middle of the afternoon, I went on a 'wild goose chase' involving a kid, a (non)concert, a bus or two, and some ice cream. 

Insert a BIG sigh here!!  


Yes... That's me.  (See the sleeve of a quilted jacket and a hint of DEEP TEAL nail polish?!?)  I'm hanging from the rails of a STANDING ROOM ONLY bus heading back to my car.  (I have to admit, riding the bus was WAY easier than finding parking on campus!!)

Note:  The ice cream was to console myself for the quilting hours wasted by DS2 (who made an assumption about WHEN a Valentine's concert might be held.)  Double sigh.  I suppose this is my punishment for being an involved mom of a scatterbrained college student (who relies on the internet for concert dates, instead of verifying the information with his band director!!)

On the up side...  It was good to see DS2 for a few minutes before heading for home, even if I did want to smack him!!  LOL

Later, I took the time to lay out the components of my greener SJS:


WEDNESDAY - Sew Day???  Maybe so!!  ONE Scrap Jar Star sewn in shades of SEA GREEN:


Along with a handful of errands to run (including, but not limited to, the bank, the post office, and the grocery store... AGAIN!!)

THURSDAY - A few more of my friend, Britt's, SEA GREEN fabrics waiting to be made into a block for Rainbow Strings:


But first...  I spent the day with a friend and before dinner I managed to do the mock-up of the blue-er SJS:


FRIDAY - If you've been following along this year, you know that I spend the day with a friend.  The (late) afternoon is my own. Today, I finally put away the new longarm needles that I bought on Monday.  THIS is where I put them:


Please remember, in case I complain about not being able to find them the next time I need to replace my needle!!  :P

SATURDAY - Calm, cool AQUA projects are sure to await at Angela's LINK PARTY on the So Scrappy blog. Sail on over.  It will be SEW worth the trip!

By the way... If YOU noticed that my SJS blocks had the corner units in the wrong position, just keep it to yourselves.  :P

It took me laying my completed block out on the floor at Quilt Bee this morning to realize my mistake.  Oops!!!  I suppose now that I'm home and have posted this, it's time to go put my seam ripper to work.  Yippee.  Sigh.

I'm also linking up with Cynthia for Oh Scrap!

Until next time...
Get Scrappy!!!

17 comments:

  1. I was going to say something about SJS, but not before I checked mine! I did the same thing, or I probably wouldn't have noticed. They're pretty either way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your fun and creative week. Great SJSs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought something looked different with your SJS blocks but I didn't catch what it was...until I read farther. First time I made the block I completely left them off... I cut a solid square for the corners.
    Yours look pretty even that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget the ripping, just call it your wonky variation. It's cute. Besides, you can blame it on a hectic week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered why the SJS in the thumbnail picture seemed a bit off! Great blocks - either way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your "variation" of the star better than the original block. I would not rip it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your star variation, too! It's just like all those En Provence variations, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for pointing out how the corners in the star blocks are supposed to be; I hadn't noticed! Good luck with the seam ripper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those aqua and seagreen stars! Seems like you had quite a week there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a week, and what a good idea keeping track like this. Favourite parts of you week for me, Hug from a son and your teal blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea...life and kids. How do you accomplish anything? You sound so busy!!! I'm retired, My kids are grown, I have a few animals to feed every morning, I have no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear you're part whirlwind!
    I think you should just make all your SJ stars like that! Definitely a design feature!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We don't make mistakes-We do variations. At least that is what a sign in my sewing room says. Thanks for sharing all your pretty aqua items with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You wear me out! But you got a couple of blocks made! One or two is better than none. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hehe, I didn't even notice! Glad you got DS time in....even if it took away from quilting time. Hope this week allows for a little more play time in the sewing studio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How you fit any sewing in with your busy week always amazes me. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the corner squares turned in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.