Monday, January 16, 2023

Mini Monday - SAHRR 2023 - The Center Block

Welcome to a new edition of Mini Monday!  Today, I'm here to reveal my center block for this year's SAHRR.


What's THAT?!?!

SAHRR is the Stay at Home Round Robin hosted by Gail @ Quilting Gail blog.  (Follow the link to find out more, as it's not too late for YOU to join in!)  If you've been following my blog for more than a year or two, you might recall that I participated in 2021 and 2022.  If you are new here, thanks for coming along for the ride, the QAL is a fun design challenge.

What will your center be this year, Joyful???

My center will be an orphan block found in my holiday block bag under the cutting table.  It may not be quite SEW mini as some of you might expect from me, but...

It has a little bit of a story to go along with it...

... Last week, LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color asked about what block I was planning to use for this year's SAHRR.  I told her that I didn't know for sure, but I was thinking about using the event as a way to (finally) make myself a Christmas quilt.  (Or, at the very least, get one started!)

So...

This morning, I dragged out the Holiday Block Bag:


I've been collecting blocks for YEARS.  Let's be real...  There are probably enough pieces and parts for a whole FLEET of Christmas quilts!  I still no quilt, though.  :o((

Then...

I remembered that I also had a Holiday-themed Quilted Scrap Basket on the shelf, so I added that to the sorting pile:



What did you find, Joyful???

I was hoping to find a block that read as Dark/Bright BLUE in honor of January's Rainbow Scrap Challenge hosted by Angela @ So Scrappy:


No such luck, so I decided this one felt like the right place to begin my project:


What?!?!?

Oh, right!  That's TWO blocks, not just one.  Stay tuned to see if Santa or JOY wins the battle for the center of my 2023 SAHRR.  I simply could decide today!  I'm guessing the "correct" choice will reveal itself when next week's Round 1 prompt is revealed.

Fair warning...

My project may or may not progress the same as the projects of others might.  The growing quilt will tell me how to proceed.  We'll just have to wait and see how this goes.  If I'm lucky, history will repeat itself and I will end up with a completed quilt top as I have the last two years:

2021 ROW Robin:





What have you gotten yourself into, Joyful???

Well,  I can't help myself!  I'm a sucker for a QAL!  Plus, I have a goal in place and this event just might help me achieve it.

Here's this year's SAHRR hosting schedule:


Thank you to each participating blogger!  I'm looking forward to each new round's reveal.  Although, keeping up will be the real challenge, as it was always the reason I never participated in the making of a "real" Round Robin quilt.   You see, it's Project QUILTING season AND there are other obligations, as well.  I will try to my best (even if that means falling a bit behind.)

Until next time...
QUILT a Round (robin)!!!

13 comments:

  1. Add a strip of fabric to those and use both blocks (stitched together) for your center. Maybe put "JOY' under or above Santa...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, either would make a great center for a Christmas quilt. Looking forward to seeing how you interpret the prompts. I'm playing along this year too, we'll see how well I keep up. A clue a week is fast paced for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about time, Joyful! Looks like you have a great starting point and lots of additional players. I'm jumping in again this year with an orphan block, too. (missed last one, in fact never finished the first one)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great group leading this event! I admire your stamina to make another one. I didn't remember your hearts one from last year. Very nice! Good luck on FINALLY getting a Christmas quilt for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you will have fun with this. I love your blocks and it will be fun to watch your choices along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a holiday quilt. I can't believe the size of holiday blocks you have!! I am sure you could piece those together as well. You'd have TWO holiday quilts!! This is going to be a fun event. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I can certainly see why you can't make up your mind about the center block. You deserve your own Christmas quilt, so I'm excited to see how this project progresses. Thanks so much for joining in again this year! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think you should be making yourself a Christmas quilt, Joy! Both of those blocks would be fun in it, so maybe you could start with one, and find a spot in one of the borders for the other. A Christmas quilt made by Joy should definitely say, "Joy!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, a Mystery along with your RR. LOL! Can't wait to see what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's my approach to following directions too: consider the suggestion that is given; if it works on the quilt do it; if not modify.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Christmas block! Perfect! I can't wait to see how your progress this year! It's always fun to see the variations! So glad that you're joining us again! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.