Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Tidy Up Tuesday - Declutter Challenge 2023 - Week One

Welcome to another edition of Tidy Up Tuesday!! We moved house at the end 2021.  We've been in the "new" house for SIXTEEN MONTHS.  Do we still have unpacked boxes?  You bet!  Worse than that...  My studio is STILL a hot mess!  Enter Karen @ Just Get It Done Quilts and her Declutter Challenge 2023:



I jumped in and got off to a pretty good start.  I tossed the following on Day 1... Trash

1. ONE little pile of scraps from my latest quilt project:


2. TWO bags of trash
3. THREE random bits of yarn from various corners of my studio
4. FOUR dirty balls of leftover pillow stuffing

And to answer Karen's question...

What was the oddest thing you decluttered today?

5. FIVE overfull thread starter/stoppers that have been sitting at my sewing machine for more than a year!

 On Day 2 and Day 3...

I got absolutely nothing done, as I barely got out of bed.

On Day 4, I was feeling a bit better and ventured up to the studio...

What did I do there???

As much as I hated to do it, this half-filled box of magazines leftover from last year's Challenge, along with the ones I added since then:


SEVENTY (70) magazines hit the recycle bin:


I know, I couldn't quite believe it myself, but I just needed them gone.  NOW!!

Karen's task for Day 4 - Books

That meant another BIG challenge for me!  I did a cursory tour of my quilt library (which should probably tell you all you need to know about the day's category.)  Here is the single  book that I added to the donation box in my car.


It will be headed to my local thrift shop as soon as I can go out, again.

Day 5 - Patterns

Today's category won't be any easier for me.  I still haven't located my packed quilt patterns.  They are either somewhere in the depths of the garage or in one of the studio boxes in the library.  I did locate a small stack of mailer and photocopy patterns to be recycled:


Day 6 - Archives

Karen suggested that we go through our quilting archives or memory bin.  I don't actually keep a memory bin, but kept a quilt journal of the very beginnings of my quilting life.  That journal, shown below, is tucked onto one of the shelves in my Scrap Station.  Since July of 2010, my quilting memories have been kept here on the blog.  Thankfully they take up no shelf space whatsoever!


If you look closely, you might see other notebooks are tucked in among the Quilted Scrap Baskets, as well and I'm not prepared to get rid of any of those, either:


Day 7 - Catch-Up

It's been good to have Karen remind me that it's time look at the items housed in my studio.  The unwelcome, the unwanted, the no longer needed just need to GO!  I appreciate the fact that she built in a catch-up day.  I'm pleased to say that I managed to get to the bottom of one of the boxes leftover mentioned in the beginning of this post.  Perhaps, I can tackle another next week.  :o))

Until next time...
Reclaim your space!!!

8 comments:

  1. Great to have a destashing plan. I need to tackle my bookshelves and magazine stashes. I'm working on the fabric monthly this year again with Stashbusters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh. I remember do all these things, but not as an along/declutter project. Moving made me do it - BEFORE we moved. :-) It was tough to get rid of quilting books and many notions, but I found a recycle store in Kansas City that actually paid me (really a pittance though) for my stuff. I felt a whole lot better than I would have if I'd tossed it into the trash. As for your scraps going into the trash... that would never happen here! Your scraps are the size I like to cut into 1-1/2" squares and make into quilts. "One quilter's trash is another quilter's treasure." I hope you soon find the bottom of all your boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother has been slowly moving in with us. As she does, she needs more space and so I've been decluttering here myself. I've got a pile of things that I'll be taking to the Free Table at guild tonight. Feels good to find "new" goodies but also good to say good-bye to things that just don't feel right for me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a major sewing room (and house) declutter too. Hopefully you find your pattern box soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you to take this on even when you didn't feel good! Getting rid of those magazines sounds like a good idea - I bet I have some I could recycle, too. Now you've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree--decluttering is the most satisfying thing you can do for your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for all the progress! After we moved in 2006, I couldn't find my large square ruler. I unpacked all the boxes from the sewing room, didn't find it. I found it a couple of years ago when I opened the box of vintage baby clothes at the request of a sister in-law looking for a family garment for a new grandbaby. In the bottom of the box was the ruler. We didn't pack ourselves, somehow the packers put the ruler in a box from a completely different room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo for tackling the studio declutter. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.