Sunday, February 20, 2022

Project QUILTING - 13.4 - Mining for Diamonds


Mining for Diamonds


Welcome to The Joyful Quilter!!  And... Welcome back to the wonderful world of Project QUILTING hosted by Kim Lapacek @ Persimon Dreams!!  This post is outlining the 4th Challenge of Season 13.  Trish Frankland @ QuiltChicken is the creator of the crazy challenges that participants face and this week she went to the heart of the matter in assigning our prompt.


FAIR WARNING:  It's a wild ride, but oh SEW rewarding!


Challenges are given and start to finish you have ONE WEEK to complete your project.  PQ 13.4 can be found at THIS LINK.



Step One...

Read the instructions to see what is required of the fourth challenge.  Here's what Trish had to say:

...  Let’s face it – this time of year, the deck is stacked: you’ll find hearts in spades. But let’s go against the club and double down on DIAMONDS for this challenge.

 

There are lots of ways to get there: you might choose to combine triangles, split a rectangle, or even work your best inset seams.

 

I don’t care if you focus on the rhombus, use a quilt block that incorporates the shape (LeMoyne Star, anyone?) or instead be inspired by the facets of a true stone.

Trish also explained the following:

... it doesn’t have to be literal. If you can explain how your project is inspired by diamonds, it meets the criteria. I could envision a (miniature) double-wedding ring project meeting the brief. Or even a simple project with diamond-in-a-square blocks – I mean, it’s just a square set on point, let’s be real!


Step Two...

Emit yet another LOUD groan!!

Why, Joyful???

I just DID diamonds not SEW long ago for the SAHRR.  Well, it was sort of a (kite-shaped) diamond, but anyway it was done and diamonds are one of my least favorite shapes in quilting.

Step Three...

Review the rules:

Rule 1: use the diamond as your project inspiration.
Rule 2: You have one week to meet the challenge. Every challenge piece must be a FINISHED project seen through from INCEPTION to COMPLETION during the challenge timeline – that is, started on or after noon February 13th, 2022, and linked up by noon Central Time February 20th, 2022.

Each piece must stand alone as DONE to count toward prizes.








Step Four...

Recall the Half Rectangle ruler that I bought but haven't used and draw up a plan:

photo!!!

4A.  Remember that not ALL projects have to be completed in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month.

4B. Inspiration struck while scrolling through IG.  Not only is my project not required to be made using the Color of the Month, it doesn't need to be a stand alone project for Project QUILTING.

4C.  Thanks to Wendy @ Pieceful Thoughts, I got REALLY excited about the possibility of ACTUALLY making something for the  Primary Improv Challenge @ Quilt Improv Studio!!


Step Five... 

Gather supplies that are far different from what I originally expected:


And toss in some of these solid scraps from Diane @ Studio Stitch:



Here is a sampling of my construction process...


(Scroll down to the bottom of the post NOW, if you don't care to see a blow by blow of the making of my quilt.)

First...

Checked my email before heading off to work on Wednesday (YIKES!) and find the February newsletter from Sarah @ Sarah Goer Quilts where she shared a recent Improv project.  One of the sections reminded me of ANOTHER way to create diamonds.  It's a method that I've been wanting to play around with since Nicolas Ball @ Quilts from the Attic hosted the #improvtrianglesewalong.  Silly me!  It was (one of) the reason(s) I purchased his Inspiring Improv book.  How long ago was that, anyway?  It's about time I put it to use!


Days passed...

Life happened, but no sewing on this project.

Then...

Suddenly, there was little more than 24 hours until the deadline.


WHAT?!?!

I know.  Crazy, right?

Well...

I'm ready with my scrap bags and baskets in the appropriate colors:


Let's see how the fabric selection goes...


Black and white?  Check:


Primary colors?  All present and accounted for:



Let the cutting begin!!!

Triangles for something along the lines of the #improvtrianglesewalong...


Sewing soon followed:


Diamond, by design...


Made with Improv Triangles:


After some trimming and joining of sections...


My quilt top was complete:


It didn't take long to find the perfect batting and batting scrap to use so I quilted my mini right up:


Black on white...


Or white on black for the binding...


THAT was the question for my Design Consultant.  While waiting for B to answer, I prepared this...


... As I had a feeling that I already knew what her answer would be and with her confirmation, the binding went on:



With just less than 20 hours until the deadline...

I present my completed entry for PQ 13.4 inspired by the Primary Improv Challenge:

5" x 6.25"


There is usually a reason that I participate in these challenges...

... And this time, it's because it afforded me the opportunity to participate in a challenge that I might not have found time for otherwise.  Too bad my entry doesn't qualify for submission due to the size constraints (and my inability to follow the rules!)

There you have it...

Process, product, and the REAL reason for accepting this Challenge.

Follow THIS LINK to the Season 13 overview.  Check back on the Challenge release days (or sign-up to be notified automatically) and there may be one that YOU just can't resist.

It's a SHORT turnaround time!

Depending on the size and complexity of your project, that doesn't HAVE to be insurmountable.  With a little creativity and a few evenings, you really CAN do this!  My project was begun days after the prompt was announce, but was still finished with a couple of hours until the deadline.  I'm SEW looking forward to seeing what all the other entrants made.  I joined the link-up nearly 4 hours before the 12:00 CST deadline.  That may be some sort of record for me.

Until next time...
Let's go SEW!!!


Remember:  If I can do this, YOU can do it, too!

(Plus, there's a spot to post your completed Project QUILTING inspired projects AFTER the deadline for any of the challenges.)


Linking up with Alycia
for

and

Joining Cynthia
for


11 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking with the challenge even when life is getting in the way! Your result is so adorable! I haven't tried improv triangles, but I might just have to now that see your little mini quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A diamond, no matter the size, is a beauty! A fun challenge well met.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your improv diamonds! That's says a LOT because I usually don't get improv. I'm too much OCD to accept those seams that don't align, lol. But this one is really cute. Kudos to you for overcoming your dislike of diamond shapes and getting it done! Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish, Joy! I've learned that diamonds (in quilting) aren't my favorite either, but wonky improv might be the best way to accept them. Your binding consultant made a split decision, and so glad you went with it! Rock and roll, that's what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally met the challenge - too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is as cute as can be. Well done, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with the challenge. I seldom take on challenges as I usually don't do them in time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your diamonds, your project looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Always a JOY to read your story ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.