Monday, May 4, 2020

Mini Monday - Bluebird {{House Warming}}

Welcome to the next edition of Mini Monday!!  I had a plan for the series.  It wasn't going to be just a blog series, but also a series of quilts.  That particular component is still in the works.

But...

(The middle of) Last week I got a wild hair. I had the sudden urge to make something with more of my Light/Bright BLUE scraps.



This little bird urged, "Pick me.  Pick me!"

SEW...

I played around with the leftover linen weave fabrics from my friend Dee Dee.  These strips and squares have waited long enough:



Once the placement was set, I began to assemble the rows:


In the next photo, you might notice some changes in the plan...


... Followed by a few more:


Then the dreaded "What if..." question reared its ugly head and I added the dark band of color across the top:


The only Design Assistant left in the house (DH) approved of the revision:



After piecing the little top, it was time to choose a backing...



... And layer up the quilt:



Here it is, quilted and trimmed:


12" x 14"

Finding no appropriate options in my stash, I contemplated a scrappy binding:



It works well enough:



Yes.  I will do just about anything to avoid doing a knife edge on a quilt.  I actually CAN do a facing.  I just prefer not to.  Plus, I think the intended recipient will appreciate the scrappy binding.  :o))


Whoops!  It looks like I might need to block it before gifting.
There seems to be a little wobble on the right side.
No worries.  It's fixable.

Thanks again, Dee Dee, for providing a(nother) little baggie of scraps!  I had SEW much fun putting those bits, chunks, and pieces to good use in this darling quilty gift.


Sharing with Kelly
for

and

With Cynthia
for

Until next time...
Warm the house!!!

5 comments:

  1. My LQS had that line of fabric and I loved it! Your mini Bluebird came out so "tweet"! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this was a fun little side trip! The birds are so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your minis, Joy! Those birds are a great inspiration - and the giant dots - wow! That looks like it was a lot of fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.