Monday, May 11, 2020

Mini Monday - The Joyful Forest

Welcome to the next edition of Mini Monday!!  This weekend, I finished something in Dark GREEN for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I really thought that I would add some cheerful color into the mix.  Read on to see what happened.

The idea...

... Was to use my Dark Green scraps to make a quilt using the Scrap Buster Fall Pillow pattern from Allison @ Cluck, Cluck, Sew:



The pattern could easily be adapted to make a small wall hanging.  I would simply shrink the scale of the leaves and trunk.  Easy-peasy!

The change in plan...

That leafy pattern would have worked SEW beautifully!  However, I somehow hit on the idea of making my Stand of Trees pattern (that I adapted from a friend's appliqued tree block) for the #bushfireblocks charity drive in support of an Australia quilt effort.  I began to wonder why I had made the design twice (a block and a baby quilt) and still didn't have a version of the design for myself.

The Improv tree trunks...

... Were scaled down this time, as I wasn't aiming for a 12" block:




The pieced tree tops...

... Got an extra layer of greenery because the scraps that I wanted to use were too small to make up the 10" block that I had in my head:




The quilting...

Simple (straight line) quilting ruled the day.  I chose shades that wouldn't compete with the piecing:




The binding...

When I got to the binding stage of the process, I (briefly) considered Dark GREEN, but opted to search thru my brown scrap basket and chose two shades:




Then decided to "phone a friend."  Needleb, of course!  (Sorry, SZQ, it was your nap time.)  Her advice?  Split it!  She suggested that I go with a green and "white" combo or a green and brown one.

The surprise...

I opted for a 3-color binding:



The reveal...

Here is what the completed mini turned out to be:



I tried it out on the Gallery Wire before...


... Taking it down to the kitchen:



~ 9" square

This was a fun little project.  I'm SEW happy to have version of my original design to keep for myself.  I was thrilled to get a shot with our lone peach iris so far this season:




Sharing with Kelly
for
Needle and Thread Thursday

and

Sharing with Sarah
@

Until next time...
QUILT mini!!!

4 comments:

  1. SEW Beautiful. I am green with envy. Well done. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun excursion! Love the little trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, pretty iris! Pretty mini, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.