Sunday, February 19, 2023

Project QUILTING - Season 14.4 - The Novel Project

 A Novel Project


Welcome to The Joyful Quilter!!  And... Welcome to the wonderful world of Project QUILTING hosted by Kim Lapacek @ Persimon Dreams!!  This is my 3rd year of participation in the Challenge.  Trish Frankland @ QuiltChicken is the creator of the crazy challenges that participants will face during the next 5 weeks.

Sassy @ Farm Quilter got me started at the beginning of Season 11 by inviting her readers to join in the fun.  I accepted her invitation and the rest is history.  As I have for the past two years, I will be dragging along my friend LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color again this season, as she enjoys having a reason to stretch her creative wings.  Would YOU like to join me in this creative journey, too?  


FAIR WARNING:  It's a wild ride, but oh SEW rewarding!


Challenges are given and start to finish you have ONE WEEK to complete your project.  PQ 14.4 can be found at THIS LINK:



Step One...

Read the instructions to see what is required of the fourth challenge.  Here's what Trish had to say:

Many of you know I’m a former librarian and lifelong reader. At the drop of a hat, I can easily list 50 books I’ve loved in my 50 years so far – and this week, I want you to think about the books you’ve loved.

One of the best things about books is the adventures and journeys you can take – all from the comfort of home. With just your mind and the guidance of a gifted author, you can visit the past (or future!), experience real and imagined locale, love, live, fight and frolic.

Trish goes on to say...

This week, I want to see projects inspired by books you’ve read. Childhood favorites or adult book-crushes. It could be a beach read or a heavy tome – you know what you love. But plan a project inspired by books.

Step Two...

My mind is buzzing with book titles.  There are 100 different directions I could take for PQ 14.4, as I absolutely LOVE books!!!

Step Three...

Gathering supplies is the easy part, as all (er... most) of my bits and piece that I use for my projects are housed here in my Scrap Station:



Tutorial for these baskets can be found HERE.

Step Four...

Review the rules:

RULE ONE: YOUR PROJECT MUST BE INSPIRED BY A BOOK YOU’VE READ.

You have one week to meet the challenge. Every challenge piece must be a FINISHED project seen through from INCEPTION to COMPLETION during the challenge timeline – that is, started on or after February 12, 2023, and posted by noon Central Time February 19, 2023.

Each piece must stand alone as DONE to count toward prizes.  Incomplete or unfinished does not qualify. Every challenge piece must be a FINISHED project seen through from INCEPTION to COMPLETION during the challenge timeline.

Step Five... Any ideas?

I was stuck by a few ideas right away.  The challenge will be interpreting any of them in fabric.

Step Six...PLAY!!!

My scrap bins are ripe for the picking.  What colors should I use?  That will depend on the title I choose for my project.  It's time to narrow the playing field:


Here is a bit of my construction process...

(Scroll down to the bottom of the post NOW, if you don't care to see a blow by blow of the making of my quilt.)


I began by selecting (one of) my all-time favorite books:


ANNE of GREEN GABLES by L.M. Montgomery

But...

There are hundreds of favorite scenes to portray!  How would I accomplish ANY of them???

Here are the first three that came to mind:

1. Anne with a "E".

2. That (hated) RED hair.

3. The great white way of delight.

I went with...

Some fused bits which were cut to fit the T-shirt scrap I plan to use for my background:


Free-cut letters were arranged on the background:


The 8" x 10" background was layered and pinned for quilting.


And without further ado, I present...

My completed entry for PQ 14.4:


There is usually a reason that I participate in these challenges...

... And this time, it was because this prompt gave me ample opportunity to think creatively.  SEW many scenes, SO little time!  I recall being shocked when an enraged Anne broke her slate over Gilbert's head.  His offense to warrant such wrath?  He called her Carrot, if I remember correctly.  The slate black background and orange letters spelling out the word "carrot" encapsulated the scene for me.

A little backstory...

I was called Orange Crush in my day.  That fact most likely played into the reason for today's entry.  I could relate to Anne's anger at being called names because of her hair color.  Although, I don't believe I ever broke a slate over anyone's head.  LOL!!


There you have it...

Process, product, and the REAL reason for accepting this Challenge.

Follow THIS LINK to the Season 14 overview.  Check back on the Challenge release days (or sign-up to be notified automatically) and there may be one that YOU just can't resist.

It's a SHORT turnaround time!

Depending on the size and complexity of your project, that doesn't HAVE to be insurmountable.  With a little creativity and a few evenings, you really CAN do this!  My project timeline ???  I began this project on Thursday afternoon and completed it on Friday afternoon.  That's a full day and a half ahead of schedule.  Not too shabby.  :o))

Whooping it up with Sarah
@
Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Until next time...
Challenge accepted!!!




Remember:  If I can do this, YOU can do it, too!

(Plus, there's a spot to post your completed Project QUILTING inspired projects AFTER the deadline for any of the challenges.)

15 comments:

  1. What a great backstory to your project! I barely have enough time to get progress made on the projects I have in the studio now, no way can I make that kind of deadline! Too much pressure for me. But I love seeing what others do, and see their book choices as I am such a reader too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great project and inspired by a really good book. Love the back story to the projects. Children can be so mean to each other with their name calling. I always wanted to have red hair and I couldn't understand why my friends didn't feel the same way. Great work, I can't wait to see what you make for the next prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story behind this little mini quilt. My sisters (I'm the youngest girl) always teased me that I would be the one with the "carrot child" as I had freckles and an orange/red glow when photograph in the sun. All my nephews and nieces were not "carrot child". My uncle was a real "carrot child" so the threat was real! Girls look great with red hair; boys ... anyway! Very well done! Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so fun, Joy! I have to admit I haven't ever read any of Anne of Green Gables, but have loved the shows. Your little Carrot mini goes perfectly with the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joy, I love both Anne of Green Gables and your quilt. Well inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From a fellow Orange Crush/ Carrot Top/Fire Hair….I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great job and meaningful imagery. I'm watching the current TV production Anne with an E now
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun little quilt! I love the story and I am sorry you, too, were bothered by the bullies - red hair is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books! A very nice project finish for your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so identify-I was called carrot top and I HATED it so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrot and Ginger (across the pond) and all I can think is - that is a great combination for some yummy winter soup. I am adding that book to my library list. Have a Joyful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific solution to the challenge! My mom said she was called "Red" when she was a kid. I so got where you were going when I saw the scraps on the black background!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great quilty tribute to a timeless book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great book and a great story you shared, Joy!!! Love your quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should have know right away what book you chose! lOVe this quilt! My middle name is Ann and I was always bummed there was no "E" at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.