Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Quarantine Chronicles - Corona Style - Week 6

Welcome to another edition of Quarantine Chronicles!!  This post is my response to our current global health crisis.  It's my record of the Lockdown Life.  Knowing that I couldn't cope with a daily post...


Corona-cation.  Week Six.

This series began on as Thursday, March 19th.  It's hard to believe that a month has gone by.  And yet another is hot on its heels!  Thanks for staying with me to see how the time unfolded.

On Day THIRTY-SIX, Thursday, April 23rd...

It's my favorite day of the week!  ZoomBEE met this morning:



This afternoon I made a big push to finish my current project:



Before dinner, I made a quick trip to Needleb's.  I had a piece of fabric I thought she might like.  She had a potential solution to my thread emergency!  A lavender that might work on the next quilt to be quilted on the longarm:



Day THIRTY-SEVEN, Friday, April 24th...

I overslept and joined in late to our ZoomKnit meet-up...



... But, I thoroughly enjoyed talking with the following Knit Group members today...

Tracy:


Stacy:



Beth:


Wait!  Who is this?!  I don't think he's part of our knit group:


Cindy:


Nicole:


And , Linda, who shared a few of the masks made with my fabric donation...



Look how happy she was to receive a yard of that bright anchor fabric which will be the backing of my "Birthday Quilt" in the coming months:


Linda paired the anchors with a number of solid backing fabrics:


I just used this floral on the back of my Q.2 Project QUILTING challenge and now she used the leftovers for face masks:



Linda gave us a virtual tour of her two-room studio space...

Fabric:


Yarn:


Cutting table with a ton of masks:


Another look at the construction of the cutting table:


Pressing station  with about a dozen more completed masks:


Sewing station:


Storage:


A design wall:


A drafting table:


Yoga studio/ guest room down the hall:


What a fabulous studio, Linda!  Thank you for the tour.

Later...

A thread consult with my friend Deborah arrived at the following...

This photo wasn't clear enough to make my point:


The one for the back wasn't much better, as these are two VERY different shades!  The "dark" one is a gray-lavender and the lighter one is WAY lighter than shown in the photo below:



Look at the difference on the purple border:


I tried another shot of the dark to light transition area:


Deborah wanted to know about the pale center of the quilt and the lavender looks REALLY good on that area:


However, I went back to the pale thread on the purple border to remind her that we have to choose ONE thread that looks best over the entire quilt:



My time this afternoon was split between loading that quilt and piecing the letters for the back of my niece's baby quilt:



As it continued into the evening, that work was part of Friday Night Sew-In with my friend Kathy @ Kathy's Quiltng Blog, who asked, "Are you busy Friday night?" and I was SEW thrilled to be asked (last week) that I responded with the following comment:


Thanks for the invite, Kathy! I don't normally join, but my monthly (LIVE) Friday Night Sew-In has been canceled for the second month in a row and I miss that time with friends. Want a sewing buddy? I'm your girl!! :o))

Once again, I forgot to link-up with Wendy @ Sugarlane Designs for FNSI.  Whoops! Sorry, Kathy!  I still had fun working on a couple of projects.  That might not have happened without your invitation to the Friday Night Sew-In.



I also released a new Design Floor Friday post this evening.  It shows just how much I got done today.


Day THIRTY-EIGHT, Saturday, April 25th...

This morning, I linked-up with Angela and the RSC Quilters for ScrapHappy Saturday.  The afternoon was filled with a whole lot of nothing, but tonight Mr. Basket and I enjoyed Date Night.  Special dinner, a glass of wine, and a delicious dessert.  Sweet!!

BBC.com's COVID report showed yesterday's U.S. numbers.  870,000 confirmed cases and more than 50,000 deaths.  More than 3,000 deaths came in across the country in the last 24 hours.

Day THIRTY-NINE, Sunday, April 26th...

It's release day for the Q.3 challenge of the Quarantine.  I've got ONE WEEK to start AND finish a project.  Or do I???  You can read all about this week's prompt HERE.

Day FORTY, Monday, April 27th...

Today, Bonnie Hunter released the fifth step of UNITY: The Quiltville Sew-in-Place QAL and I'm no closer to beginning my version of her quilt than I was 5 weeks ago!  :o((




My goal is to come up with an abbreviated version of the Sew-in-Place UNITY QAL.  The resulting quilt will be something that (vaguely) resembles this segment of Bonnie's quilt:



I bet you'll be surprised when I tell you I've finally begun!  I've still got another few projects that require my attention before beginning on this one.

Day FORTY-ONE, Tuesday, April 28th...


Last night, I played with the layout of the baby quilt:



Today's task is to finish loading this:



I always find it a challenge to wrangle such a large quilt.  The backing is loaded, the batting has been "fluffed", and it's time for the high school geometry class to kick in.  Ugh!  That was NOT my best subject.  :o((

But first, a Zoom meeting with these two monkeys:



This afternoon, I'm ready to rock and roll:



News report...

As of yesterday, the number of U.S. confirmed cases of novel coronavirus passed the one million mark.  (That's up from 500,000 on April 10th.)  In North Carolina, we are nearing 10,000 confirmed cases and 361 people have died from COVID-19.

Today, THE HILL states the U.S. death toll due to the pandemic now exceeds the number of servicemen killed during the Vietnam War (58,220) which lasted nearly 20 years.  It's been just 3 months!

Day FORTY-TWO, Wednesday, April 29th...

After yesterday's zoom meeting, I woke up wanting to give my Light/Bright BLUE scraps one last hurrah:



You'll be able to see more of this project on Friday.

SEW...

There you have it.  Another week of staring at these four walls.  I'm grateful that I don't have to look far to find things to do.  Are YOU faring as well?  I hope SEW!!!

Until next time...
That's it for Week SIX!

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo for date night! Love the dog in the Zoom group. Glad you got to Zoom with "the little monkeys". My kit is now in to Zoom meetings that include kick boxing, tennis, and zumba. I need to load them on his computer vs. my phone. Can't wait to see what you are working on with those light blue scraps. Linda seems to be the queen of mask making--along with my quilty friend, Patty. Wow! Way to go. LOVE the purple batik quilt on the longarm. GORGEOUS! I hate thread delimas. I rather have a color issue than a tension issue any day, though. Your nap quilt is cute. You've got it all going on--as usual! Great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The knitting dog zooming with you all--LOL!!! You're having a very quilt intense and interactive week! Great job being an upbeat example!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for date night! I had a date morning with hubby Tuesday..... You do so well with Zoom meetings.... I dislike them. Your projects are coming along well. Picking a thread would be difficult for that quilt with the various shades. Good luck quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Joy, you sure have the right positive attitude for dealing with this stupid situation. I am sure you will begin, when the time is right.
    I wish you continued creativity and hope you stay safe, although sanity is optional :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.