Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Quarantine Chronicles - Corona Style - Week 5

Welcome to another edition of Quarantine Chronicles!!  This is my response to our current global health crisis.  Anxiety, action, or ostrich??  What is you coronatude?  You know, your corona attitude.  I'm doing my best impression of an ostrich!  Keeping my head buried, in one quilting project after another, STILL hoping the pandemic thing will just go away.  This is my record of the Lockdown Life.  Knowing that I couldn't cope with a daily post...


Corona-cation.  Week Five.

This series began on as Thursday, March 19th.  It's hard to believe that a month has gone by.  And yet another is hot on its heels!  Thanks for staying with me to see how the time unfolded.

On Day TWENTY-NINE, Thursday, April 16th...

This morning, I enjoyed this week's ZoomBEE  meeting of my Weekly Quilt Group.  Seeing each of these smiling faces brings me SEW much joy:



The meeting was followed by a number of quilting tasks, but the REAL highlight of the day came just after lunch when 
I had a visitor:



She came bearing gifts:



Thanks, Ella!!  It was great seeing you:



The evening arrived on a sad note.  Our level of knowing just came one step closer...

DS1 texted that his friend's father passed away due to corona today.  He was at a local hospital.


Day THIRTY, Friday, April 17th...

This is morning, I joined in our ZoomKnit meet-up with the following Knit Group's members in attendance...

Cindy, showing the true essence of our meetings!  Tea in one hand, knitting project in the other, and a laughter on her lips:


I caught Tracy mid-giggle, also:


Beth knit a sneaker sock with decreases at the cuff to keep it from sliding down into the shoe:


Linda knit through a good chunk of the meeting, but all I could see was her (Pfaff) sewing machine across the room:


Nicole visited with us from New York, this morning:


I can't see myself on the screen, so I took a selfie of what the others would be able to see on their electronic devices:


Thank you to Cindy for arranging our meetings:


I enjoyed seeing everyone, but forced myself to leave a little early due to a time-sensitive quilt project that needed my attention.

After lunch, "paperwork" and several blog posts were my focus.

Also on this afternoon's agenda, DH had a grocery pick-up scheduled (which meant 11 days between shopping trips.)  The entire process went fairly well and saved him a TON of time!

Here was the sum total of my quilt progress for the evening:



I managed to get all the background pieces cut out for my niece's baby quilt.  This work was part of Friday Night Sew-In with my friend Kathy @ Kathy's Quiltng Blog, who asked, "Are you busy Friday night?" and I was SEW thrilled to be asked that I responded with the following comment:


Thanks for the invite, Kathy! I don't normally join, but my monthly (LIVE) Friday Night Sew-In has been canceled for the second month in a row and I miss that time with friends. Want a sewing buddy? I'm your girl!! :o))

Before bed, I decided to do a little work on my Monday Mini:



You will be able to see the BIG reveal on Monday, if you happen by my blog or I'll provide a link in that entry.  Until then, this is secret sewing, not to be revealed.

Speaking of a reveal...

I've got a confession.  In all the excitement, I forgot to link-up with Wendy @ Sugarlane Designs for Lockdown FNSI.  Whoops! Sorry, Kathy!  I still had fun working on a couple of projects.  That might not have happened without your invitation to the Friday Night Sew-In.



Day THIRTY-ONE, Saturday, April 18th...

Visiting all of the RSC Quilters will have to wait until later.  I've got to spend some time working on a project that I'd like to have partially done by this afternoon.

After briefly checking in with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this morning and had released my POSTI did take a few minutes to look up the latest news on COVID-19 and CBS NEWS.com is reporting that the U.S. has more than 700,000 confirmed cases of the disease.  Across the nation, more than 37,000 people have died from the virus.  Around the world, the number is at 154,200 deaths and 2.2 million people have been infected according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

A quick check of local news revealed there are more than 6,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in North Carolina.  That report came from the News and Observer, which also said that the state has also had 172 coronavirus-related deaths.

The day's focus was working on a gift and getting ready for this afternoon's Baby Shower.  Not long before time get ready, I had a visitor:




A friend from my Evening Quilt Bee was in need of mask-making supplies that I was able to supply.  Back to the machine, Karen V!!

Next on today's agenda was my niece's Baby Shower ...



... and you might remember the gift that I made.  The mother-to-be shared the front...


... and the back of the wall hanging for the baby's nursery:


Baby Shower???  But, Joyful, you can't POSSIBLY attend a Baby Shower at a time like this!!  Never fear dear readers...

It was a VIRTUAL Baby Shower!!  :o))


Day THIRTY-TWO, Sunday, April 19th...

Project QUILTING Quarantine 2020 Limited Edition...  My quilt for the second prompt was revealed today.  Find the parameters for Florals Q.2 challenge HERE.

My road trip got diverted.  DH and I were headed out to my MIL's for a social distance visit, but her hot water heater died.  A slow death, over several days.  The result was a BIG mess!!  (Along with a significant amount of mold and mildew.)

I had planned to go help with the clean-up, but DS1 rescued me!

Since I'm allergic to mold and mildew, he pointed out that I should probably stay home.  The LAST thing I need in a global pandemic characterized by breathing issues...  Is an allergic reaction causing breathing trouble!

I felt hesitant about going once (I found out the extent of the damage), but I couldn't decide what was bothering me so much or put a name to it.  Allergies would be it.  Thank you, DS1, for remembering how my breathing would be affected by all that mold. 

When DH left, I ended up with an (accidental) visitor.  SCSue stopped by to pick-up something that I had left out for her...



... And noticed that I was sitting in my "reading chair", so knocked on the window and we were able to visit for a while:



I spent a good chunk of the afternoon and evening working on the project that I didn't finish yesterday:



I also worked on my Monday Mini...



... And ended up with a nearly completed mini quilt that is ready to be bound.  This is the backing, prior to quilting:




When I was too tired to quilt any more, I sat down with my laptop and perused my newsfeed.  Bloomberg.com had another report on Sweden's COVID-19 tallies.  As of today, the country has reported 1,540 deaths.  That number is considerably more than other Scandinavian countries, but far less than the likes of Italy, Spain, and the U.K.  They remain confident in the approach.

Day THIRTY-THREE, Monday, April 20th...

Today, Bonnie Hunter released the fourth step of UNITY: The Quiltville Sew-in-Place QAL and and I'm no closer to beginning my quilt!  :o((






My goal is to come up with an abbreviated version of the Sew-in-Place UNITY QAL.  The resulting quilt will be something that (vaguely) resembles this segment of Bonnie's quilt:



More to come on this in a later post.  I've still got another few projects that require my attention before beginning on this one.

I released the beginning of a new series of posts here on the blog.  Click HERE for the first installment of Mini Monday!!

The day went by in a blur of preparation for tomorrow's planned errands.  To that end, by evening this had happened:



Scrapsplosion!!!  Sorting the scraps received last week to make stacks of fabric that I will use in my own projects and stacks of fabric to donate to a local COVID-19 mask-making mission.  Thank you, Ella and Barry!  I'm hoping you both would approve.

Day THIRTY-FOUR, Tuesday, April 21st...


Drop Day!!  I dropped off a bag of fabric with my friend LindaIllustrator.  She is making masks for various healthcare facilities around the area and had run out of cotton fabric.  Joyful Quilter to the rescue!  There is a stack of fabric approximately 12" tall shoved in that Bright BLUE bag:



Then, I dropped off a bolt of fusible stabilizer at my friend Maggie's house.  Her SIL has commissioned her to make a T-Shirt Quilt, but she was unable to source any.  When I told her she could buy what I had on hand and she happily took me up on my offer:



Notice the bag in my hand?  We'll explore that later!  Maggie had two quilts for me to longarm.  One donation and one for her.  :o))

Day THIRTY-FIVE, Wednesday, April 22nd...


What day is it? I got up thinking it was Sunday. Don't ask me why?! (I do recall we just HAD a weekend not long ago and that another will be here soon!)

Sigh...  Corona Brain!  It's a REAL thing.  :o((

While reading an article from BBC.com during lunch, it has been revealed that the first of U.S. coronavirus-related deaths occurred weeks earlier than previously thought.  This fact came as the result of a California autopsy of two individuals who passed away on February 6th and February 17th.  Prior findings set the first U.S. known deaths at February 26th in Seattle and March 4th in California.  Testing, at the time, was only being done on people with severe symptoms who had traveled outside the country.

According to Johns Hopkins University's data, there have been 825000+ confirmed cases in the U.S. and 45,000+ corona-related deaths.

Once I came up for air (after lunchtime,) I decided to prepare Carol's quilt for pick-up.  Thread tails buried and all bagged up:



I had enough time to cut the strips for more letters:


My friend/client arrived right on time...


... And was kind enough to take a photo of the center of the baby quilt that I've been working on and she texted it once she got home:


After dinner, additional letter construction began:


SEW...

There you have it.  I continue keep busy, but have noticed an interesting phenomena during this last week.  I'm still waking up fairly early (without the alarm clock's buzz.)  However, I have started having trouble winding down and have been going to bed later and later.  Fortunately, we're living under "house arrest", so it doesn't really matter that my circadian rhythm is whacked out!

All I know is that I am SEW thankful I have a hobby!! I can't imagine all of these extra hours at home WITHOUT the studio pulling me in.  Begging me to come play in the fabric scraps.  What do people DO with no hobby to occupy their time???

Until next time...
That's it for Week FIVE!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping very busy! If I didn't have kids... I would be curled up reading books when I was not playing with fabric. Alas... they keep those 'normal' daily tasks at the top of the list. Why do they require meals every day? Silly kids. We had lunch out on the back porch - sweet potato fries and leftover pork roast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a productive week. You definitely LIVE your hobby. I'm glad that you still get regular socially distanced visits with friends. It's the new normal, I guess. Sorry to hear about the dad of your son's friend.

    I LOVE that pink project! I'll check in on Monday for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your documentation of experiences during Covid-19. It starts to really hit home when I read from bloggers who know someone who was lost to this pandemic. I am so sorry to hear that. Mostly I read blogs where everyone seems healthy. This kind of hits hard.

    I did love reading about your zoombee and knitting zoom sessions. I hosted a family zoom game night last weekend which was super fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.