Saturday, April 29, 2023

ScrapHappy Saturday - RSC23 - Week 17

Welcome to Week 17 of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!  This week started with an ending.  The end of a Bucket List experience.  You'll find the link in Wednesday's entry, if you haven't already read the post.

SUNDAY - I realize this is freshly finished UFO quilt top is not PURPLE...


Look, Alycia... PLAID!!! Link takes you to Finished (Or Not) Friday.  :o))

Currently 39 x 47, so it still needs some additional work to stretch it out a bit.

But...

My purchase at Quiltville Inn was the Gypsy Sip n Snip.  I couldn't resist bringing one of the nifty cup holder/trash can (and clip holder) combos which adorned each workstation back for my own studio:


While I was away, the heavy machinery multiplied on the lot next door:


FIVE pieces of equipment can't dampen the excitement of getting to mark off a Bucket List item.

MONDAY - Work was followed by a trip to the grocery store

TUESDAY - Work was followed by my monthly Evening Quilt Bee meeting:


I nearly forgot to take a photo!!

WEDNESDAY - Wonderful Wednesday

I've been building a PURPLE quilt this month.  It's been a really fun RSC project:


Wonder of wonders, you could actually see the dent this has made in my PURPLE scrap basket.
It went from being bulging and overflowing to only half full!!!  I'd call that a success.

Zoom with LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color


This afternoon's big adventure regarding the construction site next door???

Delivery of the largest wood chipper I've ever seen...


Along with...


The longest piece of machinery (presumably a log sizer/cutter) blocking our driveway:


THURSDAY - Work was followed by a quick stop at the grocery store and the pharmacy (because I couldn't POSSIBLY go just ONE time in a week!)  Sigh...

I did some sewing, but I'll share more about that next week

FRIDAY - ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge Link Party (It's open until Tuesday night, so there's still plenty of time for you to create an entry using the Y and/or N letter prompts or the color PURPLE!)

Today was my day off and I was excited to be able to attend Knit Group, but it was canceled this morning.  :o((

That gave me the opportunity to focus on one of my SHOULD DO items:


I worked on the layout for the next T-Quilt.

SATURDAY - It's LINK PARTY day for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  I hope you will join me in visiting Angela @ So Scrappy to see what the RSC Quilters have been up to this week.  She hasn't posted the link yet, but I'll add it when she does.

My contribution to the party...

One scrappy PURPLE project was completed while on retreat last weekend.  I'm not sure whose Orphan Block this was, but it came out of a "Bag of Joy" from my friend Diane:


Update:  The blocks were the extras that my friend Diane shared from a top made in a class
 on Mile a Minute Quilts. She was happy to see it finished table topper.  It was a fun project to work on!

I quilted it (thanks to Stacy for serving as my Design Consultant!), trimmed it into a tumbler shape to preserve the quilting, and bound it with a fabric from my (gifted) stash of Autumnal prints.  This cute turtle fabric was on the back and the turtles are red-violet in color...


But I only have these scraps left, as I gave the remainder of the one-yard cut to Tiffany over the weekend once I cut off the amount needed for the backing.  (Not sure how I missed getting a photo!)

When Carol commented on the unusual shape of the little quilt on Tuesday and said how much she liked it, I promptly gifted it to her because I know how much she enjoys decorating for Halloween:


Here is the photo that Carol took of the backing fabric when I couldn't recall what I had used:

 


Until next time...
Get SCRAPPY!!

12 comments:

  1. Boo on all that construction equipment! Do you know what will happen next door? A new house? Hopefully not a retail business! You will giggle, I didn’t understand when you said the turtle fabric on the back of the scrappy Halloween-y mug mat you gave to your friend, Carol. I’m glad you included the photo of the backing. I’d seen it earlier, but didn’t see turtles! Now I see them!! And some words I’m trying to decipher. Isn’t fabric fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the start of your improv patchwork. Keep going! All those purples! Can't wait to see what you do with them. I often wonder if my scrap baskets could ever get emptied. They are overflowing and they keep expanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice that you were able to see a reduction in your purple scrap bin! I KNOW how this feels after going through ALL my scrap bins over the past five to six weeks. Every bin has only 6" to 8" of ironed and stacked scraps, and it's such a great feeling! As well, when I get to sewing, I'll have three quilts to show for my efforts... though don't press me about when they'll be finished! I'm sorry about what you're dealing with next door. I know it doesn't make you happy, but maybe in the end it won't be so bad - maybe just take some getting used-to. Sounds like you're keeping so busy though that you don't have time to notice. Stay focused on your projects, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great start on your purple reduction! I loved your Halloween finish. What a great backing!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. how intrusive those machines are, and as a person who has to live with extreme noise most of the time in our neighborhood, it will set your nerves on edge. Love your purple project
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sew busy! Love the purple reduction project. What a fun one that will be. Hope the construction is not too loud and dusty. I miss all the lots of trees near us when we moved in... now clear cut and houses. =(.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Sip and Snip - that was a great purchase! Also that purple strippy quilt - that will definitely use up the scraps. That's a lot of activity across the street, but hopefully those construction trucks won't block the driveway forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to settle back in after having such fun on a bucket list item, but it looks like you got right back to your sewing room. The construction site next door must be a major nuisance right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha you had me at plaid!! that is a great quilt top!
    So glad you had such fun before coming home to all that construction equipment... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun for you getting to retreat at Quiltville! I caught glimpses of your purple quilt over the last week. So pretty! I feel for you with the wood chipping. We have an apartment complex going up at the end of the our street with a giant chipper and other equipment clearing the land. I looked the chipper up on line, and it is almost 50 feet long without the arm extended. We will have noise pollution for months, and I’m sure the deer are crying that their run is gone. Take care and keep your ear protection handy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Other than the construction woes, it was a great week! I really like what you are doing with the larger purple quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've looked at the Gypsy Sip n Snip but haven't bought one. Maybe I should! Love all those purples! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.