Saturday, October 29, 2022

ScrapHappy Saturday - Retreat Week/RSC22 - Week 43

Welcome to Week 43 of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!  This week was positively FILLED with quilting!!  What changed?  There were no art supplies to distract me.  :P

Here's how the week progressed...

SUNDAY - Prepping and packing for Quilt Retreat.  Part of the prep work was to finish my post for Friday's release of the October 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge Link Party.  All of that was completed AFTER taking in the Durham Orange Quilters Guild Show with Knittingsuek...


And working my shift in the Children's Donation Challenge display.  Each quilt will be given to patients at Duke and UNC Children's Hospitals:


MONDAY - She's off...  On a Quilt Retreat, that is!

Day One of Quilt Retreat and a UFO has been completed:


Skinny faux-piped binding was a bit of a challenge, but finished the quilt off nicely:


TUESDAY - Day Two of Quilt Retreat began by enjoying  a beautiful sunrise with my friend Tiffany...


 ... And a photo of another UFO finish:


Then I spent the day working on this stack of sewn HSTs for Needleb:


WEDNESDAYDay Three of Quilt Retreat found me with a THIRD completed UFO...

... But it got off to a rocky start with a late-night off-campus excursion to the local ER:


Chest pains and upper back pains hinting at a potential heart attack, along with a severe GERD episode/gallbladder attack were more than I could bear.  They ran tests and gave me 5 medicines to curb the painful symptoms, then deemed me fit as a fiddle:

Check out those Light GREEN sheets!  I'll do ANYTHING for my RSC Quilter friends!

Since I was awake all night and we didn't get back until 6 AM, I decided to try to do a bit of work between breakfast and lunch, but an afternoon nap was a priority before setting out to square up these HSTs:


I missed zooming with LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color, but she was busy with classes this week, anyway, so probably didn't miss me much.

THURSDAY - Day Four of Quilt Retreat found me up by first light...


With it, another glorious sunrise not far behind:


That was followed by a crisp, clear day...


... Which was spent attempting to replicate Orphan Blocks generously gifted to me by Preeti @ Sew Preeti Quilts for a quilt that has been on my To Make list for many years:

Oops!  I forgot to take a photo before beginning to sew.

Thank you, again, Preeti!  The yardage and (somewhat coordinating) scrap fabrics were selected a year or two ago.  They've been waiting all this time to make it to the top of the project list.

Once the blocks were sewn, I worked at the portable design wall to arrive at a potential layout:


Then I went back to squaring up 286 HSTs for Britt @britt_quilts for the Project Swap that we're doing:


FRIDAY - October 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge Link Party

Day Five of Quilt Retreat provided another glorious sunrise...


Photos of the mug rugs that I finished late last night...


A fun gift from my friend Tiffany...


And some fond farewells...

With a special gift for my medical transport:


As well as to my friend who invited me along on her group's retreat:

Thanks, Tiffany!!  I had a blast (but let's NOT repeat the late-night off-campus excursion next time!)

SATURDAY - It's LINK PARTY day for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!  I hope you will join me in visiting Angela @ So Scrappy to see what the RSC Quilters have been up to this week.

I've been quilting up a storm (including a bit of October's the Color of the Month) and I'm sure that a number of my friends will be sharing their Light GREEN scrappy projects today.  Here's mine, a quilting sample from my friend Diane, which I finished with a scrap of binding while on retreat:

Thanks for allowing me to give your unloved scraps a new life, Diane!
This works beautifully on the hand crafted table in our living room.

Until next time...
Get SCRAPPY!!!

Sharing with Alycia
for

and

Whooping it Up with Sarah
at

20 comments:

  1. Reminds me of our times at Mountain Quilt Camp. Lovely setting. Retreats are a great time to knock out UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retreats are such fun! Looks like you took great advantage of the retreat time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a very productive retreat! Hope that medical emergency was minor and everything is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to go back and read your post again. I missed that the up all night was a medical emergency! Hope you are AOK and back to normal. Sounds like a nap or two are in order for you this weekend. You really knocked out the UFOs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your harrowing experience with chest and back pains. Apparently a medical facility wasn't too far away, and that's fortuitous. When I retreat with our MQG chapter, from the retreat place it's at least six miles on a sand/dirt road until one reaches a surfaced highway... and then much further to help. I'm glad it was only monitoring that you needed. Otherwise, you had a very full week, and it's nice to see progress on WIPs and UFOs. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A trip to the emergency room in the middle of your quilt retreat does not sound like fun at all. I have had Gerd like that, too, though - scary! Looks like you were able to enjoy the rest of the retreat, though. Love that pretty triangle star you finished up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, a trip to hospital was probably not your favourite part of the quilt retreat. Did the docs give you any idea what was causing your problems? Could it be "too much sewing and talking" perhaps. So pleased it all ended well and you could get back to your stitching buddies again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry you had that off campus excursion. I'm glad though that the staff could get you back on your feet quickly! Looked like you had a terrific time!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  9. So disappointing to be sick on your retreat... hope you feel much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh No Joy! A night into an ER is not fun. Hope you are feeling better.
    Love the sunrise pictures and the little mugs you made. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job finishing up some of those beautiful UFO’s. My favorite is the purple plus quilt. Sounds like you had a great week of sewing. Sorry it was interrupted by a medical scare. Hope you continually feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had an amazing week - if we could have just not made the ER run?? I am glad that they could help you and that you are back to Better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you got the all clear from the ER. love the mug rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg
    so are you okay now? how scary.
    other than that, the retreat looks productive and pretty surroundings. I did miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were right to go to the ER. I did have a heart attack 4 yrs ago. None of the normal symptoms. Women experience heart attacks differently. Mine was a stabbing pain in my throat. Called the paramedics and got hauled to the ER in time. Don’t ever hesitate to get help if something hits you weird and sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a busy week and weekend! Those ER visits that keep you for hours and hours, especially when you're supposed to be having fun, are not fun! I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy moley, what an eventful week! I'm glad your trip to the ER came out okay. Hope you are feeling better now. My mom went to the ER with severe upper back and neck pain and they ran blood tests, treated her with pain meds and sent her home. Years later, a cardiologist asked when she'd had a heart attack! She'd had tests done by him which showed damage caused by a heart attack and he could tell her about the timeframe it would have happened. It wasn't hard to deduce that she'd been having a heart attack when she went to the ER with back/neck pain years earlier! Anyway, all that to say, I'm glad you're okay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work you did at the retreat. You even took the time to have a little retreat at their ER. (Joke aside, I hope you're better and that it wasn't a heart attack.) Maybe some off-your-feet-time is in order? Take care my friend. ♥ ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was fun to read about your retreat, Joy! Sorry about your late night excursion--that happened to me once at a retreat and I had to go home! So great you recovered and sewed some more!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.