Saturday, June 22, 2019

ScrapHappy Saturday - RSC 19 - Week 25

Welcome to Week 25 of the 2019 Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!  I had high hopes for getting a bit more done in the Color of the Month.  You know how it goes...

SEW...  How did it REALLY go, Joyful?!?!

SUNDAY - Taming the dark BLUE explosion that happened:



Once THAT was under control, I cut the necessary patches for the Noname block for (last week's?) Tiny Tuesday tutorial:


Here I am, sewing some of the components:


MONDAY - Quilt Guild was tonight.  Look who won a door prize!!  Two tickets to the Sewing Expo in Raleigh!!!



The program was a lecture/trunk show of math-based quilts which was truly mind blowing.  Prior to his retirement, our guest, Roger Winchell, was a mathematician, an engineer, and more!  His post-retirement quilting style makes this quite apparent.  If you can believe it, THIS was his FIRST quilt:



Another on of his earlier works, a rainbow of blocks arranged like a strand of DNA:


One of his more recent works gives a new perspective on the Cubist movement!  The center is an Apollonian Gasket based on a mathematical formula that I can't BEGIN to explain!  Read more about that concept HERE on Roger's website:


TUESDAY - Before dinner, I did the last little bit of quilting needed to complete the BQG3 donation for the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project - and there's still time for YOU to contribute:



After dinner, Cynthia's Tiny Tuesday pattern became my focus for the evening.  With the block sewn, I gave it a finger press...



... And then, REALLY pressed it - better than the photo shows:


I'm not sure WHAT was going through my mind when I chose these fabrics.  Apparently, I was thinking that they would look good together.  All sewn up, they are nothing but a mess.  Cats fenced in the flower garden?  I think NOT...  LOL!!

WEDNESDAY - After dinner, I put away the items purchased on my last (1st) trip to Pineapple Fabrics... 2 YEARS ago!!  This shopping bag is now empty and has since been properly recycled:




THURSDAY - My Weekly Quilt Group is taking a trip to Pineapple Fabrics today.  And I'm going with them!!  I've made a list....

1. Backing for my Blooming 9-Patch.

2. Nothing else!

I tried any number of fabrics with my quilt top.  Ultimately, there were two contenders.  After some consideration... Mission accomplished!!  THIS was the winner:



You'll get to read more about the trip in a later post.

Once I recovered from the trip, I took some time to gather my projects for tomorrow night's sewing event.  They will be stationed by the door for ease of departure.

But WAIT, there's MORE!!!  Kevin the Quilter has opened up Scrap Club for ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grab a button and make the Simply Sensational Summer Scrap Quilt in THREE easy steps:



FRIDAY - I worked on a new Design Floor Friday post this morning.  It was released just before lunch.  Find it HERE.

You read about the plans, but now, it's here...

Friday Night Sew-In!!!!

What did YOU get done, Joyful???

Well...

Here is the view through my (cell phone) camera lens:

Trimming of the BQG3 Donation quilt:

Photo Currently Unavailable!!!

Three out of four panels sewn on my Pecking Order quilt:



Here it is before I picked it up I'd the floor:



I studiously ignored my dark BLUE scraps:




Don't worry!!  They will soon get their turn under the needle.

SATURDAY - Today is jam-packed with (quilting) activities!!

First, there's the LINK PARTY for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  If you like dark BLUE or need some inspiration for your next quilt project, head over to Angela's So Scrappy blog.  It won't disappoint.

Next, Quilt Bee.  I better hurry or I'll be late.

Then, I wanted to sneak in some time at the Donation Quilt Workshop.  I've got a kit that I picked up a Guild a couple of months ago, but haven't found time to assemble it.  The workshop would have been the perfect opportunity to make some headway!  Alas, reason won out over desire.  The timing made it impossible to get there with much time left to actually sew.  :o((

After all that, my plan to attend Quilters Night Out with B got push forward.  Because who doesn't need MORE time to sew?!?!  I went over right after Quilt Bee and got started on seaming my Pecking Order quilt into a top.  Yay!!

I'm not sure if I'll update this post or create a new one in a few days.  Either way, I hope to make further progress on several of my projects during my waking hours today.

One of my readers will recognize this beautiful (two-sided) mini:




It was designed as a table topper, but I'm really enjoying it on my kitchen wall during dark BLUE mouth.  Thanks, again, Chantal!!  At least, I think that's who made it.  I'll have to look back in the blog posts or the maker should step forward, as my memory is lacking.  Two-sided quilt = no place for a label!!

Until next time...
Get SCRAPPY!!!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! You had a busy and productive week. Thanks for the heads up on Kevin's Scrap Club. I'll head that way and check that out. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work by Roger Winchell! We can tell he is a mathematician ;)
    I looooove your Pecking Order quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely had a busy week! Great trunk show - those quilts got a "Wow!" from me. Your Pecking Order quilt is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your fabrics are perfect for your tiny Tuesday block. I am intrigued by how great that wicker fabric looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another productive week! Roger's quilts are mind-blowing! Does he travel to lecture? I need program ideas for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! A busy week and those quilts Roger made are amazing! Enjoy the sewing today.... I plan to pop into the sewing area all afternoon (should I let the family know they are in charge of dinner?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your tiny blue kitty block is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those geometric quilts are definitely mind blowing! I think the cat fabric will be a fun overall element in the quilt. It will be like finding a surprise when it is all together. Your list is funny for the Pineapple fabric store. We shall see if you were able to stick to it. I LOVE Kevin the Quilter! I'll have to check that out.

    Your Pecking Order quilt is stunning in blacks and brights! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew interesting to read your quilt diary! Love that backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roger's quilts are a-maze-ing! Sometimes I'm sort of dumbstruck by people with that kind of focus and creativity. It's all good, though, no matter what we're working on! I think your kitty block is cute. I mean, you can't really go wrong at all with cat fabrics, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roger’s quilts are beautiful indeed. It is mind-boggling that someone can do the maths required to assemble them. Just the thought of it makes my head hurt. Your Tiny Tuesday Block is cute! I love that you were adventurous with the fabrics you chose! How can you go wrong with cats?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Pecking Order is looking terrific already as do your nails :-) Will it be pink or purple next month? I can hardly wait :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.