Monday, March 11, 2019

Mail Call Monday - Arrival of a Hurricane

Welcome to another edition of Mail Call Monday!!  I'm here to tell you about the box that landed on my front porch this afternoon.  The story began a month or more ago when I volunteered to quilt for the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project.

I left a reply on one of Carole's posts at From My Carolina Home.  She had asked for volunteers.  My response stated that I would quilt up to four quilts in an effort to help with the relief effort for fellow North Carolinians.   Later, Carole added a Volunteer Form on her blog.  Since I hadn't yet been contacted, I filled that out to offer my services for longarm quilting some of the donation quilts that were being offered around the state without the quilting done.  Weeks went by.  I still hadn't heard anything!

A couple of weeks ago, I was emailed with contact information for Marji, President of the Brunswick Quilters.  The guild had made some quilt tops to donate.  There was no one in the area currently available to quilt the quilts.  Carole made the connection and Marji would send the quilt tops and backs to me for longarm quilting.

The box arrived today!!  (Complete with a contribution towards the cost of batting.  Thank you, Brunswick Quilters!)

It looked like this:



That's all well and good, but the other side told a different story:



YIKES!!!  Not good.

Further inspection confirmed that the quilt tops (and backs) sustained no damage:


Whew!!  What a relief!

I have emailed my contact person.  She was informed about the damaged box AND the undamaged quilts.  Now, I'm off to investigate further into the contents of the box.

I'll reveal more when the quilting is underway.  I'm hoping to get to these three quilts by the end of the month.  Only time will tell, as I have a couple of client quilts waiting in the wings, as well.  Those will need to be done first.

Fortunately, Carole's timeline is quite generous.  I've got til the end of July to get them done and bound for August's final run to Wilmington!  SEW... If the end of March comes and goes without quilting the Brunswick Quilts, it won't be a problem.  There's always next month (and the month after that and the month after that AND the month after that.)

Surely, I'll get to them before then.  :o))

Until next time...
Gotta go QUILT!!!

7 comments:

  1. I wish there was a like button on blogs... sometimes I just want to let the blogger know that I read their 'story'... That was scary seeing the box torn like that; I'm glad that the quilts and backings were not damaged. I can't wait to see what they look like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine your horror on seeing that box! So glad the contents were not damaged. I am not surprised that you volunteered to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Glad the quilts were OK! I always worry about just that kind of damage. And thank you for volunteering to quilt up those tops :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful of you to donate your longarm services! So glad there wasn't any damage to the quilts. You got this. I bet you'll have them done in April. You're a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so generous with your time and your talent. That's a wonderful way of helping the cause. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How generous of you to share your quilting skill. So glad there was no damage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to help out. Have fun quilting those.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.