Friday, May 10, 2019

Design Floor Friday - Altered Rainbows - The making of a commission basket . . .

Welcome to another edition of Design Floor Friday!!  Today, I'm here to share ANOTHER completed UFO.  It's been in the works for MONTHS.  Way longer than the size of the piece required!  (I guess I must be a process quilter.)




The task at hand??

A new commission project.  To be more specific, another Large Quilted Rainbow Basket (like the one I made for Sue.)

It's been "on the list" since the beginning of the year.  I woke one day with this project weighing heavily on my mind.  The time had come.  It was time to begin.

A rainbow...

Red

Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

Wait.  That's not right!

My client gave me specific instructions.  She said NO GREEN!!

How does one make a rainbow with NO green???

Altered, of course:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Turquoise
Blue
Indigo
Violet

Will that work?  We'll see...



Here is the first set of trimmed blocks:




That looks good so far.  What will happen when these are joined with the other half of the rainbow?

Stitching happened, along with another round of pressing:



Then at the March Sew/Craft Friends-zy...

Trying the altered plan on for size:


Lining...

Here is the fabric I chose to balance the colorful exterior:


Quilting...

During April's meeting, I did some stabilizing quilting...


...  and will add free motion at home:



Oops!!!  I really wish that I would LISTEN to myself when something doesn't feel right:


Here's another look at the mess I made:



Yes, ripping WAS involved!  This is a photo of my favorite seam ripper ready for action:


Too bad the stitches are too small for me to see:


I had to call in a pair of younger eyes:


In advance of the May Sew/Craft Friends-zy, I did some additional quilting on the piece:


Binding selection:



 Altered Rainbow, the Quilted Basket:


I hid my client's Ravelry name within the quilting:


Her real name is featured a bit more prominently:


Thanks for the challenge, Przhym.  I hope you enjoy your basket as much as I enjoyed making it for you.

Until next time...
Who says rainbows HAVE to include green?!?!


3 comments:

  1. I like it!!! Its a pretty rainbow ( without green)
    Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great! I'm sure Ann will love it. And how lucky for you to have a kid who will rip stitches for you. I'm a bit envious! I wonder if I can find a used one on eBay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out beautifully! And even better there's one less thing on your to do list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.