Friday, April 26, 2019

Design Floor Friday - Cowboy (Thread) Catcher

Welcome to another edition of Design Floor Friday!!  Yes, I know it's been a while.  It seems that my Fridays are often taken up with other activities.  This afternoon, I was forced to step away from the longarm.

Why, Joyful???

A thunderstorm was coming through and I can't afford to fry my machine by working during a storm!


My Spring 2019 (Ravelry) UFO Club list includes finishing a Quilted Thread Catcher for Denise.

The inspiration...

F9C03A75-8389-4C04-B1AA-43C20A148F74.jpeg

... And the quilt parts that I have to work with:



Leftovers from her Pecking Order quilt.

My instructions for colors were as follows:

Cowboy colors, duh!

When I asked my friend to elaborate, the response was:

Browns, turquoise, tans, reds, hot colors, textures, ...

I'm using leftovers from THIS quilt that she made:


4D3FCAEA-40B8-4B42-82A5-638CBDF33865.jpeg

Denise chose some of my turquoise scraps (shown in the photo below) during our last Sew/Craft Friends-zy and I pulled additional coordinating fabrics from my stash, but checked in to see if I was headed in the right direction with these:



Obviously, I have taken a bit of a left turn from her original thoughts on the matter...

You know?  Those browns, turquoise, tans, reds, hot colors, textures, ...  Ugh!  SEW not my thing.

After dinner, I went back up the studio to align my fabric selections more closely with Denise's hopes for her forthcoming "Joy Original" Quilted Thread Catcher.  Even though she SAID, "Have fun with it, You know I'm gonna love anything!"

We'll see about that...

Here is where I went with her statement, noticeably less green:



I also added more turquoise and an another red to create a basket panel that should be pleasing to its recipient:


If nothing else, it's got texture!  I'm hoping to be able to transform it into Denise's Quilted Thread Catcher before next weekend's Sew/Craft Friends-zy for the month of May.

Until next time...
Happy Trails!!!

2 comments:

  1. Alas, your "inspiration" photos don't show up on my computer. But your fabrics do, and it looks pretty "cowboy" to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Do you unplug your longarm during thunderstorms? I hope you do because that will protect it best!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.