Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Wonderful Wednesday - Another Summer 2023 (Ravelry) UFO Club Finish

Welcome to another edition of Wonderful Wednesday!!  I'm thrilled to share my latest UFO Club finish.  Remarkably enough, this is my SECOND completed project for the Summer 2023 (Ravelry) UFO Club.  You get the first look this time.  I'll share it on Instagram closer to the end of the session.

Here is the story of the quilt...

I started this quilt as a way to try one of my favorite Amanda Jean Nyberg quilt patterns.  You see, my AQUA/TEAL/TURQUOISE Quilted Scrap Basket was overflowing and it spit out a TON of quilt fodder, but...


I needed an alternate color to go with it!!!

Breaking out of my teal/purple or teal/lime combos or the teal/orange sample quilt in Sunday Morning Quilts, I opted for teal and red/pink (just to do something different.)


Have you made a modular quilt???

That's basically what this was.  I didn't follow the directions in the book exactly, but my quilt top turned out quite similar:


You may recall there was drama on the longarm once the layers were loaded...

That was in April and the quilt was held hostage for WAY longer than it should have been:


Once "The Beast" was persuaded to run, the quilting went fairly quickly, until...

It's all fun and games til the bobbin runs out - 6" to 8" from the LAST corner of the quilt:


Shortly after the quilt came off the rails, squaring it up...


And applying the binding was all that remained:


It's finished (and now I need to send it on its way!!!)

Once that's done, it (finally) satisfies my promise to myself.  Too bad it wasn't done in time for the momentous event!!  Thanks for your patience, Friend!  


In case you would like to see a close-up of the quilting...


The sun shining on Candy's back porch and just LOOK at that amazing texture:


Gifting this quilt was HARD for me to do...

You see, this quilt is made of some of my favorite fabrics.  AQUA/TEAL/TURQUOISE is one of my favorite color families.  It includes fabric scraps from a number of bloggy friends and some special projects along my quilting journey.  My last hand quilted quilt (from 20 years ago!) is represented.

The deciding factor???

There is red in it.  Besides that it's one of my favorite quilts EVER!  You know what they say, don't you?  The BEST gifts are often the hardest to give away.  This quilt fits that category while, bringing me back to my 6 year old self, when I had selected an adorable stuffed dog for a dear friend who underwent surgery.  I absolutely DID NOT want to give it away, but that dog traveled with my friend for many years.  She loved it (and I'm hoping this quilt's recipient will love it, too.)  I think she will.

In closing...

I want to end with a BIG thank you to those who helped me complete this quilt, (Katie @ Zana's Ninis, Deb @ Happy To Be Scrappy, and Diane @ Studio Stitch to name a few) and leave you all with a porch swing picture:


This was also the PERFECT finish for September's Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month!  Hope you enjoyed the photo finish!  I would like to complete one more before the Fall 2023 UFO Club begins.  Not sure that will happen since I have another project to finish, as well.

Do YOU have UFOs that you would like to finish before the end of the year???

Yes?  Well, if you have 5 (or more) you are welcome to join the UFO Club on Ravelry's Quilters Knitting group.  Sign-ups open soon and continue through October 7th, 2023.  We'd love to cheer you to the finish line.

Until next time...
Mark another UFO off the list!!!

If you read to the end, I'll let you in on a dirty little secret...
This was really a 50th birthday gift!!
That just didn't have quite fit the Lordy, Lordy name of the quilt.  :o))

7 comments:

  1. I luv this quilt 💖 I've never heard of a modular quilt & yrs I have way more than 5 UFO's 😅

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish!!! The teal with the red is perfect. I made a modular quilt years ago when I first saw Amanda Jean's quilt. It was fun to make and one of my first improv quilts. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great finish! I just got my 2nd one done yesterday. Now to work on #3 this weekend =).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun finish! Love the color combinations. Good luck with the rest of your list for the UFO club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful finish! You rocked the Aqua this month. Your friend will understand how special this gift is.--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nicely done. Love the porch swing picture - it really showcases the red center. Lots of love in this quilt and I just KNOW the recipient will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt turned out fabulously. I have never made one of those, and it is fun that this month's color gave you the "push" you needed to finish it! The quilting is fabulous, too. I am sure your friend is thrilled to have it in her possession.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.