Here's where we left off in June, Quilted Basket Challenge, Take Three was Dark Blue:
Baskets in a variety of other colors were made in other years.
This month, I needed a (bigger) RED Quilted Basket for the RSC. My smaller (non-quilted) basket was overflowing:
I commented on Judy's blog post:
On Sep 1, 2020, at 8:36 AM, The Joyful Quilter wrote:
Judy's response soon followed:You are on, Joy! Let’s do it! I’ve cleared a shelf and everything!
Sent from my iPad
What happened then, Joyful???
Quilted Basket Challenge, Take Four...
I had other projects to focus on prior to starting on my basket, but decided to work on it as I created my Hello Fall Blog Hop project:
The Leader/Ender thing actually worked this time:
By the time my Hop project was done, I had made a really good start on my RED Quilted Scrap Basket:
Next came sewing and pressing pairs of pairs...
... And since the Leader/Ender thing was working well for me, I decided to make some progress on my niece's wedding quilt while assembling the pieces of my RED Quilted Scrap Basket:
Chunks were sewn together:
This was the preliminary layout that I posted on Due Day...
You see, Judy and I had decided to share our COMPLETED baskets at Angela's LINK PARTY on September 26th. With the deadline in the books and NO basket to show for it, I finally assembled my scrappy RED basket panel:
Then, it was time to choose a lining for my basket...
That's where this J. Crew shirt comes into play:
While it was one of the most beautifully made shirts I've seen in a long while, the weight of the fabric and its various shades of RED would make a great lining:
I only felt bad for about a minute after disassembling (deboning?) the shirt before I had it layered up with my basket panel and a scrap piece of batting...
... Pinned and ready for quilting:
I try to do something a little different on each basket:
Matchstick quilting was my weapon of choice for this one:
NOT the best option when you are in a hurry (or if you get bored easily!), but if there's no rush (and your deadline has passed, anyway), it adds a LOT of texture to any quilted piece:
Trimmed and assembled into a basket shape...
... I chose a binding from the Scrap Binding drawer:
This empty bobbins shows that I had NO THREAD left after attaching the binding and stitching it down...
Thread chicken? I win!!! :o))
Amazingly enough, there was JUST ENOUGH to finish sewing down the binding!! The end of the thread pulled out of the bobbin as I took the basket from the machine...
... Promptly loaded it with my RED fabric scraps...
... And took pictures...
... From every side:
I dumped the scraps on the sewing table to take my new Quilted Scrap Basket out into the garden...
For a photo with one of the LAST Blackeyed Susans of the season:
On the porch rail:
With the LAST white iris of the (third) season of this year:
Oh! Let's not forget a shot with DH's latest toy:
Here is one final shot in the late afternoon sunshine, to give you a better look at the binding I chose and another look at the glorious texture that I quilted into my RED Quilted Scrap Basket:
Sharing with Cynthia
Until next time...
Scrapping to infinity (and beyond!!)
Just one more photo of the bottom of the basket, which I was hoping (a little of this section) would make it up onto a side: