Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sew Some Love - Mercyful Quilts Style

Welcome to another edition of Sew Some Love Sunday!!!  This week, I'm here to share the quilt currently on the frame.  Earlier in the week, I chose a backing, prepared that and batting for this quilt:



It's for Mercyful Quilts.  I had heard of the program, but have never contributed.  Bernie at Needle and Foot Fine Fabrics has expressed an ongoing need for comfort quilts @ Mercy Hospital in Sacramento, California.  We recently had an email conversation regarding specifics of the program. 

Here is (my take away from) what she said:

Quilts are made for patients who are end of life at the hospital.
These quilts are used only for adults.
Juvenile fabrics would NOT be appropriate!
Quilts of Valor are extra special and are SEW appreciated.
NEW quilts only!  The hospital does not allow gently used items.
Due to patient sensitivity, make sure there is no smoke smell.
Gender neutral color schemes are helpful, but not required.

Does (quilt) size matter, Joyful??

According to Bernie, there are no hard and fast rules.  Your Mercyful Quilt should be lap sized.  At that response, I asked for clarification.  I knew that some of my readers would want a ballpark size range.  For me, I didn't want to send something Mercy couldn't use.  Worse yet, I didn't want you to NOT send something because my instructions were too vague!!

Specific guidelines, please, Joyful...

Your quilt should be:
No smaller than 45" in width
No longer than 70" in length

Anything within (or close to) those parameters will work.

What about your quilt, Joyful???

Later in the week, I loaded all the parts and the quilt was ready:



As luck would have it...

My quilt was PERFECT for this cause.  I was a little worried once I had decided what I wanted to do with the quilt.  I couldn't recall what the size was.  I needn't have been concerned.  It came in at 55" x 69" when I measured the completed quilt top.  Whew!

Where shall I send my quilt, Joyful??

Contact Bernie at needleandfoot@gmail.com for mailing instructions.  She would be thrilled if YOU want to make a Mercyful Quilt, too!!

Meanwhile...

This afternoon, I wound five bobbins and I'm ready to roll:




This quilt will be my contribution to Hands2Help 2020.  I am SEW pleased that my "Ella" Quilt fits the needs of a participating charity for this event.  (My friend Ella will be grateful the "kit" that I put together using her fabric is going to such a worthy cause.)



Until next time...
Sew Some Love!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for both posting about Mercyful Quilts and also for making a Mercyful Quilt!! This is so helpful and the team at Mercy hospital greatly appreciates each and every quilt they receive. The team oooh and ahhhs about them, always amazed at the beauty and creativity in each one. If you want to read about one very special thank you I recently shared, you can use this link.

    https://needleandfoot.com/2020/02/11/wrapped-with-kindness/

    These quilts are given to people at a very difficult time in life and it gives such comfort to the people who receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Ella quilt is PERFECT, Joy! I'm so glad you're donating it to Mercyful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.