Sunday, August 18, 2019

Sew Some Love - Quilty Girl QOV Style

Welcome to another edition of Sew Some Love Sunday!!  This is the space where I tell you about the good works that YOU can choose to support.  I realize that you MIGHT know all about it.  But, you may not "be in the loop."  That's where I come in!

In case you haven't heard...

Who?  My friend Alycia recently put out a call for participants.

What??  She is hoping to recruit donors.

Why???  To amp up support for her August/September 2019 Block Drive for the Colorado Quilt of Valor program.

Where????  Read all about it @ Alycia Quilts.

When!!!  No later than September 30, 2019

It's also the blog post series where I let you know what good quilty things I have been working on.  This week, it just happens to be a BIG 'ole block for Alycia!  :o))

First, I sorted through my big Patriotic Scrap Basket:



When that didn't turn up all of the required pieces, I dug into my small Red Scrap Basket:



Next, I cut all of the appropriate scraps:




Once the cutting was done, the 18" block went together in a snap.


Here's an overview of the process...

Absolutely ANY quilter can make a Rail Fence block (or 12!!)  I started with the strips shown in the photo above.

From them, here are the Rails that I made:




Scrappy.  Of course!  Because... That's how I roll.


After that, it was on to the BIG block assembly...

Laying out the rows:




Stitching together into halves:



At last, creating a GIANT square like any other 16-Patch:



Well, except for the GIANT part!  That was NEW for me.  And kind of nice, too.  You wouldn't need to make very many in order to have a good sized quilt.

There you have it one Aug/Sept19 QOV block, ready to wing it's way across the country to Alycia's Quilt Ranch.  If YOU are SEW inclined, give it a try!  I'm sure she would be thrilled to get another 'squishy' (or 50) in her mailbox.


Disclaimer:  It may (or may NOT) measure EXACTLY 18.5"!!

Bonus:  There's even a bit of Light/Bright BLUE
in honor of my RSC Quilter friends.




Please note:  I'm joining Cynthia
@ Quilting is more fun that Housework
for her Oh Scrap! link-up.

Until next time...
Sew Some Love!!!

9 comments:

  1. I love that star fabric! I will have to make one of these blocks and send to Alycia, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. Might have to make a block or two and send her way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I'm heading out to a retreat tomorrow. I think I'll take some rectangles along for leaders/enders. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project to use up a few scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done! Good luck to Alycia. Hope she gets plenty of blocks. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info on the block drive. I really like that one. And thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo, thanks for the info! That looks like a fast, fun, easy block. And QOV is always a great cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too sweet!! and I love your scrappy block!! the more the better right! thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... Jacksonville Personals on site

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.