Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Wonderful Wednesday - The Neighborhood Challenge

Welcome to another edition of Wonderful Wednesday!!  It's been a while since I've remembered to write up a post for this series.  I thought you might like to see photos of this year's Neighborhood Quilt Challenge entries.

Am I right?

First, you might like an idea of the rules.

1. No color restrictions!
2. No size restrictions!
3. Include a house (or home) of any type or style.  Modern, traditional, pieced or applique, anything goes!  Make entries as plain or as ornate as desired.

In the hopes of encouraging participation, suggestions were offered and examples were shown at each meeting, but the resulting quilts BLEW ME AWAY!!

Last Monday was the entry deadline...

As you will see, there was a TON of creativity on display.  I apologize in advance for the hastily taken photos.  I was busy waiting for the final entries when it was time to set out all the quilts and by the time that task was complete, the meeting was starting. You will still get a fairly good idea of how each quilter interpreted the theme.  I'm pretty sure that you just want me to stop talking and let you see the quilts.

If so, keep scrolling...

Entry # 17, Molly K:


Sixteen, Margaret S:


Number 15, Cheryl B:


Fourteen, Stacy W:


13, Suzan deS:


Twelve, me and Eleven, Christine C:


#10, Nan L:


Nine, Diane H:


Entry 8, Diane H:


#7, Debby S:


Six, Karen W:


Number 5, Janet B:


Four, Marie W and Three, Judy C-L:


#2, Vicki C:


And entry Number One, Sara P:


Thank you for looking!  Please note, I may not be able to respond to any comments until next week.  I am away on a quilt retreat in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina.  More on that when I return home.  I appreciate your understanding.

Did YOU make a quilt, Joyful???

Here is the beginnings of the entry that I intended to submit:


Unfortunately...

I had several donation quilts to finish by the challenge deadline and I simply didn't have enough bandwidth to figure it out a way to get it put together.

Instead...

I owe a BIG thank you to Past Joy for creating my PQ14.6 Face a Fear Challenge with this Neighborhood Challenge in mind!  You see, right from the start, hat project was meant to serve as a dual entry for this challenge, as well.  I remembered just when I thought I might have NO ENTRY for the Guild Challenge (which would have been terribly embarrassing, since I was the coordinator of the event.)  This is the little quilt that I named Welcome to the Neighborhood:



Wait a minute just a minute, Joyful!!!  Which quilt won the challenge???

Relax.  I haven't forgotten that part.

The winners were as follows...

3rd Place:


AND


Yes.  There was a tie for 3rd Place (which has never happened in recent years.)

2nd Place:


1st Place:



Disclaimer...

Several of the quilts were BIG!  Traditionally, the Guild Challenge entrants produce smaller quilts which are no larger than lap size and more easily displayed on the tables we use for this purpose.  With no size requirements, members were free to make whatever size quilt suited their project.  That made the photography extra challenging.

Editor's Note...

Congratulations to each member who completed a challenge entry.  Well done!  They were ALL fantastic!  I am particularly happy for the members who chose to dig in their UFO bins for a jump start on their challenge entries and the one member who was so inspired that she created TWO entries.  To the best of my knowledge, that is another thing that hasn't happened in previous in one of our Guild Challenges.

Until next time...
Be SEW creative!!!

8 comments:

  1. What fun quilts! Congrats to the winners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun challenge and love the different interpretations of a home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fun challenge idea, and so many creative entries. My favorite was the open mailbox with the bird nest inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great quilts and creativity!!! Congrats to the winners! Enjoy your retreat, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such incredible 'houses'! I love the tree house and the campers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are fun to see! I love the variety of houses and scenes that people created. Yours is cute, and hopefully you'll have a chance to use those other house blocks someday. Hope you're having a great time at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to all. Lots of creativity making beautiful projects. Winners all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.