Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Wonderful Wednesday - Laurel Ridge Retreat - The REST of the Story


WARNING:  PHOTO HEAVY POST!!!

Welcome to another edition of Wonderful Wednesday!!  I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Quilt Retreat that was held at Laurel Ridge Camp and Retreat Center in Laurel Springs, North Carolina a couple of weeks ago.  The event was organized by Charlotte area quilter, Carol.  You might have seen the Wrap-up post HERE.

The fabric was flying, but I also want to remember the beauty of the week...

Day One.

It was a beautiful day for a drive:


I survived the hair pin turns, which I stopped to take a picture of:


The camp sign was surrounded by some glorious foliage:


What a beautiful spot for a retreat:


Enjoying the scenery during a late afternoon break:


The Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance...


And darkness is falling:


The first project, Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusions from 2014 is done... an abbreviated version, of course...


And a photo of the pieced back I constructed with border blocks and scrap chunks:

The colors are a bit off, but I forgot to take the picture right when I got home from work.

Day Two.

I was up at first light...


And managed to capture my first sunrise in ages:


I hope you don't mind a series of photos...



And another finished quilt, Positivity QAL Block Drive quilt:




I still can't quite believe that I was up with the sun:


No jacket was required during the midday:


Binding a project for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge:


Celebrating a small finish - in the midday:



After dinner, I rallied the troops for a walk...

Thanks for keeping me company, Marilyn and Denise!

To the end of the road:




Once we returned, I began stitching HSTs for Needleb...


A couple of photo breaks captured the waning daylight:



Day Three.

Rain during the night brought a foggy mountain morning...


The fog followed by clouds in the late afternoon:





After dinner, two more walkers joined the crew:




We enjoyed the beauty of the early evening...


Along with...


Denise's "leaf angel" antics:


Upon our return to the sewing room, I assessed my progress on Britt's HSTs:


Tiffany and I managed to dress alike without planning to do so:


Day Four.











My inspiration blocks from Preeti @ Sew Preeti Quilts, shown her with the "alternate blocks" that I began stitching today:


In the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month - if I had posted this last week:


It feels SEW good to be making progress on this project:


After seeing Melba struggle with her bag, I told Tiffany she should just finish it for her.  The bag was then named in my honor and Melba (gratefully) moved on to her next project:


Option One...


Option Two...


Or Option Three?  That question must be answered before I move ahead with this quilt:


Another project that I'm thrilled to have finished.  These HSTs will now get passed on to Britt:


I used the remaining "dark" HSTs to make these two blocks:


Once again, after dinner, the troops were rallied for an evening walk:


The mountains are beautiful in the twilight:




The first square was quilted and bound...


And the second followed:


Day Five.

Mother Nature put on QUITE a show this morning:















Not long after breakfast, we were all packed up and heading down the mountain:


Less than 3 hours later, I was nearly home:



Until next time...
Retreat, relax and QUILT!!!


10 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful place to hang out and stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a beautiful week - weather, friends, completed projects! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your retreat looks like lots of fun, and a beautiful place to spend time in, too. Love those sunrise photos! Also looks like you got a lot of sewing in while you were there - extra fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful time not only sewing but also being refreshed with the scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful location for a retreat. Mother Nature gave you a lot of beauty to observe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful setting for a quilt retreat. It looks like a fun group and you got a lot done. All in all a terrific quilt adventure if you don't count the surprise visit to the ER.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna Moore (from Pigeon Forge) is just now finishing her Grand Illusion this week at S'mores retreat! She says "Hi!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love quilting retreats and yours looked to be both fun and productive. Nature gave you a terrific show...so gorgeous. It was nice to have those few warm days again, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gosh, I'm drooling over your sunrise sequences! What a beautiful way to start each morning! Wonderful finishes, and you got SO much done!!! I like all your options, but the first one draws my eyes the most.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful environment for a retreat. I loved the fog photo. So glad you enjoyed the experience!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.