Sunday, October 6, 2019

Sew Some Love Sunday - Block Drive Style

Welcome to another edition of Sew Some Love Sunday!!  I'm here to share the blocks I made for Kat @ Covered in Love.  I really WANT to participate in each Block Drive, but that doesn't always happen.

The Sept/Oct Block Drive is a fun one!  The Split 9-Patch is an easy block that uses a good number of scrappy squares (in two sizes) in order to construct.  Fair warning:  It DOES help, if you have the instructions in front of you when sewing.

Why, Joyful???

Let's just say that my memory isn't what it used to be.  I might go so far as to call it a forgetory these days.  Thank you, Alita, for a GREAT new word!

I took my collection of appropriately sized squares on retreat with me.  It SEEMED like a good way to make sure that I got my blocks done this month.

Until...

I got confused by the squares that I brought along.  The sizes seemed to suggest an alternate color placement than Kat's instructions provided.  You see, there was little to no internet connection up at the lake and I had "swiped away" the photo that showed the appropriate block layout.  :o((

Fortunately...

Kirsten was able to catch a bit of internet on her phone and provide me with picture proof (that I had done something horribly wrong!) 



I had also had the foresight to bring additional background fabric.  That came in handy, as I had initially paired my reds and yellows with neutral squares.  (Low volume?  Whatever!)

After a date with both my seam ripper AND my rotary cutter, the pair of blocks was made right.  I'll spare you the dark photos.

Block ONE...



... And Block TWO:



The photos below will give you some idea of how the blocks might be laid out to make a quilt:




Thanks, Kat, for another great way to participate in your charity (while using up a bit of scrap fabrics!)  I'll be looking forward to seeing the resulting quilts.

Would YOU be interested in helping out, too?

Visit the this LINK for the fabric requirements.  There's still plenty of time to mail off a contribution.

Until next time...
SEW Some Love!!!



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea for a block collection. I like how the general color placement will be the same, but each quilter’s uniqueness will come through in their fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High five! I just did some of the Covered in Love Blocks too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.