Sunday, December 9, 2018

Sew Some Love Sunday - Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project

Welcome to another edition of Sew Some Love Sunday!!  As you may or may not know, there was some extreme weather in the Carolinas in September and October of this year.  Hurricane Florence was quickly followed by Hurricane Michael.  Thousands of homes were destroyed and many more were damaged.

Quilters, to the rescue!!!

Fellow blogger, Carole, at From My Carolina Home first developed a plan to help victims of Hurricane Florence.  She suggested an easy quilt block to make.  It's incredible how quickly these quilts make up, which is good because she is hoping to collect a LOT of them!  The need is great.  Can YOU help in any way?

The following month, Carole expanded her project when disaster struck again, in the form of Hurricane Michael.  She has made arrangements to provide new quilts to people who lost their homes in the six (hardest hit) counties surrounding Wilmington, North Carolina.  She would like any quilters to help in any way they can.



This is her challenge:

In fact, I would like to challenge every quilt guild and club in the Carolinas that were not affected by the floods to commit to making and shipping at least 5 quilts per club.  If my friends and I can do five, surely an entire club can do more.  This disaster affected our home state, so let’s come together to help our neighbors.

Carole gave information quilt size:

The ideal size is 72 x 84  or larger with borders, (12-1/2″ quilt blocks 6 x 7 or more) large enough for a full size bed or more – the size you would want if you had nothing and needed to start over. 


Carole posted an update HERE.  The first quilt has arrived at the Catholic Charities office in Wilmington.  It came all the way from Milwaukee, Wisconsin!  If the very first Carolina Hurricane Quilt project donation came from that far away, maybe YOU could help, too!!

This post outlined the donations that are pouring in and the longarmer quilters who have volunteered to quilt some of the tops that are sent.  I have volunteered my services, in the event that Carole is in need of additional quilters.  After all, I actually LIVE in North Carolina!

At the November meeting of Durham Orange Quilt Guild, I presented a donation quilt made by Donna, an honorary member of my Weekly Quilt Group, who lives in New York:




After sharing the quilt with Guild President, Patti, I turned it in at the Quilts for Hurricanes table to be forwarded to someone in need:


Carole posted about our Quilt Guild in this UPDATE.  Here is what she said:

The Durham Orange County Quilters are helping out with quilts sent directly to several families they have identified through guild members.  (Thanks for the shout out, Carole!)

Again, this is just me, providing another opportunity for YOU to help, if you are able or feel inclined to do so.  Read through the links provided for additional details.

Until next time...
Charitable contributions help others!!!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful mission! I'd like to help, but I haven't tried quilting a quilt since my eye problems began this year. Is there anywhere to send flimsies for another group to finish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joy - my in-laws live near Myrtle Beach and while they were fortunate, others were not so lucky. I've printed off the block directions . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been such a bad year for natural disasters on both coasts, water in east, fire in the west. Work and the holidays are sapping my stitching time, maybe once we get past Christmas, I can whip up some blocks for one of the donation efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.