Friday, November 24, 2023

November 2023 - ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge - Link Party

Welcome to the November 2023 edition of the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge here at the Joyful Quilter!!  Thanks for stopping by the Link Party to see what participants have made this month. I am having a hard time believing that December will be here next week.

I host this challenge in conjunction with Angela's (RSC) Rainbow Scrap Challenge @ So Scrappy.  It's been SEW much fun to offer the...



Button credit to Susan @ Desert Sky Quilts, updated by me.

Since basically ANY small quilted item qualifies for this challenge, I scrounge through my scrap basket to see what I can come up with.  

Each month I offer a prompt to help get your creative juices flowing.  While you are NOT required to use it in your project, the guiding letters are revealed at the end of each month's LINK PARTY post.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the next month's focus.  It, along with the RSC Color of the Month (as soon as Angela releases it - around the 1st of the month) will also be added to the 2023 ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge page at the top of the blog.

November's letters were:

K and/or W

What will I do for a design that includes both letters, as well as the (self-professed) Rainbow Scrap Challenge Color of the Month?  I designated November's color as Dark NEUTRAL.  As you might have seen earlier this month, I had a multitude of those in my scrap baskets.

In BLACK...


BROWN...


And Dark Multi:


But HOW was I going to decide which scraps to used???

I took a poll and the Dark Multi scraps were hugely popular.

But...

Inspiration struck when I went exploring.  I found this baggie full of small HSTs and a sweet BROWN-toned background print:


I'm pretty sure these came from my Bee-mate, Maggie.  Am I right?

I began without a real plan.  Even with a headstart on a project, it still left me with a mound of squaring up to be done:


After searching my dictionary of quilt blocks, I settled on something like this, but the sweet BROWN- toned background print didn't make much of an impact in the center of my block:


It MIGHT have worked on the corners, but I only had a single strip of it...


So I went looking for another option and was pleased with the result:


It took a week of sewing...


And pressing...


Before the blocks were assembled and ready for the design table:


Shadows or scorch marks?  I'm not quite sure!  :o((

This is a photo of the selections for backing straight from a fairly recent scrap infusion...


Here it is, all pinned and ready for quilting:


Fast forward to the binding stage...

Another try for that sweet BROWN background print:


This one wasn't quite the right shade to work with the HSTs:


The reddish-brown option seemed to go well with the lighter/brighter scrap squares:


Which one did you choose, Joyful???

You will see soon enough.  Sending out a big THANK YOU to Britt for the "quilt by committee" texting session for a second opinion about the selections!!

I was running out of time...

But there was still the question of the backing.  I took one last look in the scrap basket and found this Kaffe Fassett gem among a hand full of scraps that more than likely came from Diane or her friend Michelle.  It feels right for the project, and it was just the right size, so I layered this thing and got busy with the actual quilting:


I'm pleased to present my completed ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge entry for November, shown here, hanging out on the cutting table in my studio:


I used 90 HSTs in this 8.25" x 5.25" quilt!!

Here's another photo of the mug rug doing its job:



How does the quilt fit this month's theme, Joyful???

Like this:

K = I used the Box KITE quilt block pattern for my little quilt.

W = The color WHITE made up the background.


What's next, Joyful???

The month of December is still nearly a week away.  Again, Angela won't be announcing a new Color of the Month, she planned for November to be for quilting and finishing.  Therefore...

I have, again, made an executive decision for the purposes of the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge.  Our color will be:

RAINBOW

Use as many colors of the rainbow as you dare!!  :o))


December's letters are:

S, H and/or E

NOTE:  Use one letter, two letters, or all three letters.  I'm excited to see what YOU are inspired to create!!  I'm not inspired yet, but I'll keep thinking.  I'm sure I'll figure something out before the end of the year!

And now...

It's time for YOU to link up your K and/or W projects in the LINK PARTY below.  All entries MUST be submitted by Wednesday, December 6th @ 11:59PM (EDT).  I've given you extra time since the Link Party was early this month AND launched on the day after (American) Thanksgiving!  I hope that will help you finish an entry... or at least start one.


Until next time...
USE those table scraps!!!
#ABCtableSCRAPSchallenge2023
#tablescrapschallenge2023

Linking up with Alycia
for

Joining Cynthia
for

7 comments:

  1. That little mug rug turned out so cute! Great use of those tiny HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, that's amazing! What size are your finished HSTS? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are teeny, tiny pieces! What a great finish and so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited that you were gonna have another tiny quilt for your gallery wire! And then it turned into a mug rug! Lol. So much work in that little project. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My but those are tiny hst's!!!!! You've reminded me of a mini I started for Christmas years ago--I need to dig it out! Thx! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable mug rug! Fantastic job puzzling this one together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute mug rug! Glad you finally figured out what to do!! Those are some mighty small pieces. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.