Friday, March 25, 2022

March 2022 - TABLE SCRAPS Challenge - Link Party


Welcome to the March 2022 edition of the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge here at the Joyful Quilter!!  I'll start with a little backstory, in case you are new here.  (Apologies to my regular readers since you already know all about it.) I'm a scrap quilter who had been setting up individual challenges for several years in conjunction with Angela's (RSC) Rainbow Scrap Challenge @ So Scrappy.  Last year, I went global when I offered the 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge.  There were participants from around the corner, across the country and around the world.  It was SEW much fun and we all have MORE scraps to use, so I changed the "rules" and am pleased to offer the...

Button credit to Susan @ Desert Sky Quilts, updated by me.

In 2022, we have a broader range of quilted items that are appropriate for linking to the Challenge.  Baskets and bins, along with pillows and pin cushions, are qualifying projects.  Not just the toppers, runners, and mug rugs we focused on during the 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge.  This year, basically, ANY small quilted item qualifies.  The main premise is that you USE the (new or old) SCRAPS from your cutting table (or your friend's cutting table - since that's where the majority of my scraps come from!)

There will be a prompt each month to help get your creative juices flowing.  While you are NOT required to use it in your project, the guiding word will be revealed at the end of each month's LINK PARTY post.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see February's focus.  It, along with the RSC Color of the Month (as soon as Angela releases it - around the 1st of the month.) will also be added to the 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge page at the top of the blog.

March's theme was...

FLOWERS

Here's what transpired as a result...

The Color of the Month was YELLOW/GOLD so I brought out one of my scrap bags as the basis for my entry:



Then...

I used the leftover background bits from Sunday's Project QUILTING entry...


Paired with a sweet floral scrap on a YELLOW ground found in the very bottom of my scrap bag:



What happened next, Joyful???

I cut out some 1.5" squares and got to work:



That's where I veered off the "traditional" path!!

I noticed a T-shirt scrap from my current commission and it looked like it might be the right color for a border, as my piece had turned out rather small:



Once the scrap was stabilized, cut into strips and attached to my little quilt top, I layered it up with a piece of scrap batting:



OK that left only the quilting and binding to be done...

~ 5.5" x 8"

Boom!  Done.  :o))

I hope you like my latest mug rug.  It was a fun little project!


But WAIT!!!  There's more...


I forgot to add this for the early readers, but YOU get to see the alteration that I made (and neglected to share before the post went live.)  I decided to go back in with some quilting in the borders:



Then...

Felt that it needed a bit of embellishment.  I used the same sweet floral print and free cut half-inch circles to add flower "buds" to the leaves that I had quilted around the borders:

To my eye, that filled out the border fullness perfectly (while adding an unexpected element to the piece.)


What's next, Joyful???

April will be here before we know it.  Since we have a few days, we may have to wait to discover the Color of the month, but...

April's theme is:

WORDS

However YOU decide to interpret that!!  You may have the perfect scrap of wordy fabric in your stash.  Have you tried free piecing letters?  It's fun!  Maybe you haven't tried quilting words into your projects.  SEW many options!

NOTE:  A single word counts.  And Angela announced PINK for April.

And now...

It's time for YOU to link up your YELLOW/GOLD and/or FLORAL project in the LINK PARTY below.  All entries MUST be submitted by Monday, March 28th @ 11:59PM (EDT).



Until next time...
USE those table scraps!!!
#tablescrapschallenge2022

Linking up with Alycia
for

and

Joining Cynthia
for

17 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh! You are too early with the linky party. I am not ready! Guess I've got my work cutout for this weekend. Nice little mug rug by the way. P.S. why is word the theme for February? Are we going backwards? I'm confused.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little mug rug with that sweet print. I love that you used a t-shirt scrap on it!
    Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaay! I posted about mine yesterday! I made two sets of two placemats. Both have yellow and one has flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute, Joy! You found the perfect scrap for the March challenge. I've never added t-shirt fabric to something like this - I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding the little flower dots to this little gem really brought it to life! Adding a T-Shirt border was a big surprise. You are just full of surprises coming from your sewing space of late. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect rug for your coffee mug. Love the addition of the leaves and buds in the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tiny circle of flowers is perfect on the quilted leaves! Cute. What do you use to stabilize t-shirt fabric? I have some t-shirts that are calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute Mug Rug! I like your addition with the quilted leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to sew scraps - color and theme - and then anything goes! Looks like you'll have lots of participants. Enjoy using scraps... they keep reproducing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely little mat Joy. I will be missing this month because I won't be sharing my placemats until the 1st. I have a bunch I want to get binding on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!, that is a really cute rug mug and the addition of the quilted leaves and the appliqué was a great idea. Thanks for the party! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whohoo! Made it in under the deadline this month! Such a sweet little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I didn’t even know the word prompt but I have sunflowers in my placemat along with a few other floral yellow prints. Your mug rug looks so good with the additions of quilting and buds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many cute entries this month! And aw shucks - I just finished my two RSC placemats today and realized I had missed the cutoff. Aaaaaaannnd that’s just how my month has gone. I’ll just give myself a little grace and share them on my Saturday blogpost. And I haven’t said it lately, but thank you so much for this fun monthly linky party and all the work you put into it! You are appreciated!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.