Friday, November 13, 2020

Design Floor Friday - {Not So} Boring Beige

Welcome to another edition of Design Floor Friday!!  Today, I'm here to share what began about this time last week. It happened like this...

After dinner, I was poking around on YouTube when I happened upon a String Quilting video tutorial from Donna @ Jordan Fabrics.  The project looked interesting, so I watched her grab a handful of scraps and make the pillow project.

IMMEDIATELY after watching the video, I just HAD to go dig in my LIGHT Neutral scraps make a start on one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects for November:


That initial layout got revamped in the light of day:


I opted to insert the stacked piece into the string section:


The chunkier bits got slimmed down:


Oh!  That's SEW much better:


I owe Ruth S. a BIG thank you!!  This piece is layered with batting straight out of last week's scrap bag from her:



Then came the quilting...

Well, first came the choosing of thread:


I decided to use them all:


Pinning happened next:


Followed by some stitching in the ditch for stabilization:



Then, I got a wild hair...

... And added a bunch of texture quilting in the wider, as well as, the pieced strips of the quilt:


Just LOOK at that amazing texture in the late afternoon sun:


Check out the texture on the cutting mat, while I was trying to determine if I should square the piece or leave it in its natural (wonky) improv state, with a strange curved edge, as shown below:


Alas, my perfectionism got the better of me:



The binding presented it's own unique challenge...

What would YOU do if one WOF 3.5" strip wasn't enough to get around your new wall hanging?  Choose another fabric??  Not me!!  I opted to cut it in half, a mere 1.75" and do my Go To double-fold binding method, exchanging my normal quarter-inch seam with an eighth-inch seam.  Worked like a charm:


I am pleased to present my completed mini by the freshly trimmed shrubbery in our front garden:


It finishes at 11.5 x 12 inches...


 ... And will serve as this month's Kitchen Quilt:



There's a bit of a funny story that goes along with the quilting, but I won't rat out my good friend Needleb.  Let's just say I got a really good laugh and leave it at that. (Love ya, B!!)

I will ask just one question:

What do you think about that amazing texture, B???  LOL!!!

Sharing with Alycia
for

and

Whooping It Up with Sarah
at

also

(At Andree's Request)
Linking Up with


Until next time...
Scraps Happen!!!

14 comments:

  1. That's another pretty one in your low volume scraps, Joy! I do love the quilting! It looks like you had the perfect place to hang that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE the little pieced strip you threw in there. The quilting is fabulous! Congrats on a fun finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous quilting texture on your neutral improv mini. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super fun kitchen wall quilt, Joy!!! Awesome job on the FMQ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I really need to play with the machine and my quilting after seeing such great quilting on this. I think I figured out what to do this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I questioned when you showed it mid-project, but I really like how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! One and three quarters inches and I/8 inch seam!! Are you serious? Good work, it’s super.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It may have been a pain to do 1 3/4" binding but oh it finishes the piece so nicely. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! It reminds me of a vanilla latte', smooth and frothy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! What a lovely quilt. I absolutely love the texture. Please consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. We'd love to have you join the fun :-) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on another neutral wall hanging--love the quilting texture on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh - how fun!! LOVE that quilting !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a terrific idea - a kitchen quilt! Love all the fancy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the texture. Looks like it was fun to quilt too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.