Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Return of the Monster Quilt and Its Companions

Some projects are completed in a day.  Others have a way of hanging on for a LONG time!  This was one that fell into the latter category.

I have an excuse.  No, really!  I picked up these antique tops (that should be your first clue as they are always a challenge) back in August of 2012.  There were a few projects in line before I could truly begin on any of these.  The quilt show was coming and my entries needed to be completed.

Anyway...  by the time their number came up, I was stuck in a quilting funk.  That explains the initial "problem."  Then came December of 2012!  I had great plans because I was FINALLY ready to tackle the Monster Quilt and its companions.

And then DS2 landed in the hospital.

Some might say that's not so bad, but this was worse!  First, he was in for the better part of a week.  (Ultimately, being diagnosed with the life-threatening disease Severe Aplastic Anemia.)  Then he was in and out of the hospital for the better part of a month before being admitted to receive chemotherapy followed by a bone marrow transplant.  The duration of that stay was more than a month straight!  Throughout all of this, the quilt tops sat on the "back burner" in my studio, patiently waiting to be transformed into usable quilts.

The health of my son and the fate of the quilts became wrapped up into one giant frustration.  I wanted my son to be well and I wanted the quilts to be finished! Some people are able to quilt through pain and turmoil.  I find myself unable to quilt when life interferes with the status quo around our house.  It happened when my father passed away nearly 7 years ago and it happened again in the midst of this crisis.  (This was going on as DS1 was completing his senior year of high school.  The poor guy didn't even get a Graduation Quilt!!!)

It took 6 months to return to quilting after my father's passing.  DS2 survived and thrived... only to be told in August 2013 that he would have to undergo open heart surgery during the Summer of 2014.  It was totally unrelated to his previous condition or treatment, but it provided another HUGE blow to the household equilibrium!  (To add insult to injury, his big brother, and bone marrow donor, was heading off to college at this time.)  Thus, my quilting bug abandoned me, yet again.

The project was too large to have hanging over me at this time in my life.  I wanted it done, but I was still having trouble facing it head on.  I couldn't let ANOTHER year go by without completing these quilts!  Ultimately, I  enlisted the help of a friend help with a long arm quilting machine. I've quilted on one in the past and wanted to do it again, but I had no time to rent time on a long arm machine.  My friend needed an influx of client quilts to boost her business and I needed this project DONE!, so we came to a mutually beneficial distribution of tasks and I'm happy to report that the quilts were picked up today.

I am VERY happy!  The owner is VERY happy!  So happy, in fact, that she will be bringing the next antique quilt top over in a few days so that I will have it in time for my trip to Mary Jo's next month.  Fortunately/Unfortunately, the process begins again.  I already have another commission lined up.  It will take precedent.  Lucky for me, the quilt top owner understands that I will make her quilt a priority when I am able.

And the quilts???  Not to worry!  I have posted photos below.

The Monster Quilt: King Sized Flower Garden

Companion Number One:  Queen Sized Log Cabin

Companion Number Two: Queen Sized Flower Basket

It's a little washed out, but it's the best we could do with only 2 people at home.

Until next time...
Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! And a great feeling to have those projects finished!


Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.