Monday, February 28, 2011

"Inspired by" - The Series

I made the most of a weekend at home. My friends were off to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival (the Hampton Roads Show), but I decided to stay home this time and work in my studio. My Circle Challenge for the Art Bee was due last week, but I hadn't even started it.. I hate to admit it, but I’ve known about it since December!

Why wait? Well, I wasn’t feeling inspired. :o(

Based on a piece of art by Brazilian artist Beatriz Milhazes, I drew up my design weeks ago, but I didn’t do anything with it…until this past Saturday! (If I missed the quilt show, I was going to have something to show for it!!!) The challenge deadline had come and gone. Now my mind was clear enough to begin what ended up as a series of quilts:

I began by making one the size of my drawing (done on a napkin!) and stepped it up a little bigger (and then a little bigger than that.)  My pieces measure 2" x 3", 3.5" x 5.5", and 8.5” x 11".  Basically, that's a business card, an index card, and a piece of notebook/computer paper!  They were done with fusible applique, but I’m not sure where I want to go from here. Any suggestions?

To see the inspiration piece, look for:

Beatriz Milhazes
Popeye, 2008
Acrylic on canvas
78 3/8” x 54 3/4”

Until next time...
Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! In looking through blogs tonight, I found yours. I am "Joyful Stitcher". Thanks for your lovely blog. Enjoyed looking at it much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.