Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Remnants - A Completed UFO!!!


Remnants - Odd Angle
Originally uploaded by basketcasejoy
While this quilt LOOKS like a full sized quilt, it measures just 11" square. It started as a possible design for a teacher gift and ended up being one of my entries for DOQ's "A Thread Runs Through It " Quilt Show 2010 (Oct. 22 - 24th, 2010, American Tobacco Campus, Bay 7, Durham, NC.)

This mini sat on my table for more than a YEAR waiting to be quilted. Ultimately, I decided that I wanted this one to be extra special so I enlisted the help of a local longarm quilter. I think it was worth every penny!

The name of this quilt is Remnants. To quote www.dictionary.com,

rem·nant   /ˈrɛmnənt/ [rem-nuhnt] – noun

1. a remaining, usually small part, quantity, number, or the like.

2. a fragment or scrap.

The fabrics in this mini started life as the makings of a king sized quilt. Being the math whiz that I am, once made, there were a number of quilt blocks remaining...so I made a lap quilt. After making the lap quilt, four blocks remained so I made a wall hanging. You would think this would be the end of those fabrics...but NO!!! There's MORE.

School was ending and I needed a gift for DS2's teacher. Upon finding that she was fond of hunter green and burgandy, I knew that I had JUST the thing...a miniature quilt from the "quilt that keeps on giving."

Most of the pieces had been trimmed up. All I had to do was come up with a design. It turned out that I came up with three designs and implemented two of them. Remnants is the second of those two designs to be completed...and there are STILL more scraps!!!

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! If you are a NO REPLY blogger, please add your email address, as I reply to each one individually.